Coming up with a fair fundraising split

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our parents association is also going through a similar problem. It seems like only a handful is putting in all the work and the entire group benefits. However we are a 501(3)c corporation, which is not for profit. And while i don't mind having the whole group benefit from any of my efforts, after all, we are a charitable organization whose purpose according to the requirements provided by the IRS is to provide funding for all the gymnasts, not just a selected few, I am in the organization to benefit as well, to offset some costs. However because the majority just sits on their hands or don't really care and since it is unlawful not to benefit the whole, the few that help out are beginning to feel slighted. We have thought of abolishing the 501(3) c organization and start a cooperation instead where you can dictate your own rules and get what you put in. The 501(3)c dictates that it is unlawful to use any of its earning towards any one private individual or private interest. It must interest the whole with no preferential treatment. So if charity is not the objective of your organization, then maybe you should look into starting a coop.

Our booster club is set up very differently. We are not members of the booster club. You actually have to become a member of the club, and then they work bingo in town every weekend. I think each family is required to have 2 people work every 6 weeks, or some equivalent amount of time. If you are a member, the profits are split equally. (ie...uniforms, meet fees, travel fees, coaches' fees, etc.) This does not mean that each child always gets the same amount. If a gymnast doesn't go to a meet, they don't get that benefit. Girls' uniforms cost more than the boys' so that is not "equal." If you choose not to go to the camp that the booster club has set up, you don't get the money (even to go to another camp) it seems to work well. We will probably join within the year :)

It is frustrating when not everyone carries their weight. However, since you can't control the behavior of others, all you can do is control your response. Do you have such a relationship with the parents that you could approach them in a nonconfrontational manner? Are your fundraisers varied and fun?

I'm president of our club and I make sure to talk to the parents constantly about what they like and what they don't. I send reports of how successful the fundraisers were and make sure to name those gymnasts and families who participated and thank them in public. We don't catalog sell....ever. My parents hate to sell so we don't. We do things....leo sales, car washes, tumble-a-thons, meets, concession stand workers, benefit cards, bake sales, etc.

We have some parents who just won't participate but you know what? Every year, we have fewer and fewer of those types of families. And the gymnasts have began to look forward to our annual FUNdraisers!

So I guess my point is to make the choice not to let a few parents upset you. Are you doing the good works for the benefit of the team or just to make your child look good? Would you rather dismantle your booster club over a few parents who might not be able to contribute their time? Just keep your perspective and make your behavior a source of personal pride, knowing that YOU did what you could for YOUR child's TEAM.

Great post 2020! It has never been about looking good and has always been about benefitting her team. Great to add perspective!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back