Coaches Communication with parents

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRays

Coach
Proud Parent
How do you communicate with your parents? Parents around meet season are a whole other ball game i'm finding and running into some issues. Do you allow your parents to text or email you about their kid? How often do you have parent meetings to address concerns or questions?
The other issue that seems to peek at this time of year, just before meets start, is many parents request private lessons. I have been doing some privates here and there for reasons such as a mental block on a skill. Word travels and they seem to think privates are the thing to do all of a sudden. They feel if their child isn't doing private lesson then they will fall behind or miss out somehow. Do you have specific set reasons for privates that your parents are aware of? Do you say no to a private request when you feel the gymnast really doesn't need it? Do you have a set policy for private lessons that the parents are given?
Do your parents have a handbook? What type of topics are covered in it?

We have a handbook.
It lays out costs, practice expectations for gymnasts and parents, meet expectations for gymnasts and parents, do's and don't, program philosophy, and a FAQ section.
As for parent meetings:
April for parents of girls considering moving up to team
August/September for parents to discuss season expectations, meet etiquette, any questions parents have.
November for all parents in prep for first meet big questions and to plan for first home meet.
January for all parents to plan for second and third home meets.
March for all parents to talk about Championships, Regionals, and Nationals.
May/June for Nationals parents to coordinate outfits.

We don't do a lot of privates because of limited time availability. The ones we do offer are for specific skills... And are limited in number per gymnast.

Communication TO parents: Facebook page, team website, in person, and an app called remind. On occasion, a video or text message is sent to a parent about the gymmie.
Communication FROM parents: text, email, in person. HC responds as soon as she can.

Our HC has a team parent meeting in the fall to discuss competing, meet schedules, team leos/warm-ups, costs, payment schedules, and some very general guidelines. Our gym is not in the practice of doing private lessons so that is a non-issue.
I had drafted up a handbook over the summer (per HC's request) and gave to HC to make changes/adaptations but I've never heard anything about it since. I think it would be greatly beneficial to us just to have some ground rules, because as it is the parents just sort of do what they want. Which is fine until you get a CGM :confused:.
I will initiate a parent meeting via e-mail or by checking in with parents after practice to let them know there is a concern. As far as parents communicating with me, they all have my e-mail and phone number and can find me after practice to chat if needed. Most don't actually do any of that, they just let me do what I need to do and trust I will let them know if there is a problem.
Of course we do have the obligatory CGM who sits directly by the gym floor each practice and tries to coach her child and other children and comment on coaching methods/styles/skill selection of other children. I feel like she needs a special handbook all her own. I just hope she doesn't pollute the new team parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back