Parents Competing in shorts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A's Mom

Proud Parent
My 13yo daughter will be L8 this season and wants to compete in shorts. No one else at her gym does and they haven't offered the option, though I'd be shocked if they pushed back at a gymnast who wanted to. Like many normal teens, she would rather not be the only one and attract that attention.
So I'm curious: does your kid or their teammates compete in shorts? Are you starting to see shorts in competition?

Competing in shorts has become more popular in the recent years. I would say about 90% of teenagers wear shorts to practice, but that number is way smaller in competition. Most teens in Xcel wear shorts. It's quite rare to see shorts in DP.

I'm so fascinated that you see it so much in Xcel! It's encouraging. And yes - nearly all the teens in our gym practice in shorts, but none compete that way. I feel like we just need someone to break the ice.

My kid competed in shorts at state championships (Australia) last weekend. She knows her coach would have preferred her not to, but she knew that on that particular day she’d definitely compete more confidently with shorts on so she simply didn’t take them off. Nothing was said, she scored well, and I imagine her teammates now realise it is an option for them too.

As of now, wearing shorts in competition will still draw some attention. But usually people know how to be respectful and keep their comments to themselves. Shorts are an option for appropriate attire for a reason, and I am always proud of individuals that are able to look past potential judgement of others for the betterment of their own comfort and confidence. The social reaction to shorts in competition has surely changed, and in time it will I believe become nonexistent.

I promise that there are many other gymnasts that want to wear shorts to compete, and they will look up to your daughter for doing something that is honestly brave in the gymnastics world.

I’ve haven’t seen anyone compete in shorts yet. We’re in Texas, but also traveled to Florida last year.

My 13yo daughter will be L8 this season and wants to compete in shorts. No one else at her gym does and they haven't offered the option, though I'd be shocked if they pushed back at a gymnast who wanted to. Like many normal teens, she would rather not be the only one and attract that attention.
So I'm curious: does your kid or their teammates compete in shorts? Are you starting to see shorts in competition?
Competing in shorts is allowed, and it's not something that judges even think about while judging. There is no judge I know that cares if a gymnast is wearing shorts or not, so it really won't draw any different attention or response. Gyms really can't forbid it, because it is now in the Rules and Policies and is allowed. From personal experience, I can attest that since its no longer a deduction, it's not even being noticed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back