Parents Complimenting the coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

myliljunebugs

Proud Parent
My DD started intermediate rec yesterday and I love love love her new coach. So I told her after class that I really liked her teaching style and thought she was a great fit for my daughter. Then I thanked her for working so hard with these kids (she really does, she's awesome). The weird part is she was shocked and said she only ever hears from parents if they are complaining. :( This is a Christian gym, you would think that she would hear positive reinforcement fairly regularly. :( That just makes me sad. Is it really uncommon for people to compliment the coach?

Sorry, they pray before each class, and most of the coaches are students of the local Christian college (or Uni of AR). I guess that doesn't really pertain except it seems like in that kind of environment people would be more likely to be complimentary.

Yeah, that definitely came out wrong. :eek: Sorry! Ignore that part (if you can, really, really sorry!) and the main question is, is it abnormal for coaches to be complimented for a job well done?

Sorry, they pray before each class, and most of the coaches are students of the local Christian college (or Uni of AR). I guess that doesn't really pertain except it seems like in that kind of environment people would be more likely to be complimentary.
Not sure why they would be more complimentary in that gym than any others. I know lots of extremely polite atheists and quite a few Christians that just wear the shirt but behave quite poorly, the world is full of all kinds eh? So glad you took the time to be grateful for her hard work and enthusiasm. I always made a point to thank my girls coaches, they work hard and long unsociable hours. They do deserve a thank here and there.

Sorry to focus on the Christian aspect but I've never heard of a Christian gym. I'm assuming the owners came up with this? Are non Christian athletes welcome?

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I think my foot is too far in to get out now. :eek: And you are absolutely right, there have been more hypocritical Christians in my life than not. Shutting up now.

I'm assuming it was the coaches, yes. Anyone is welcome of course, so long as they don't mind the quick prayer beforehand.

I think my foot is too far in to get out now. :eek: And you are absolutely right, there have been more hypocritical Christians in my life than not. Shutting up now.
...and this is why we do not do religion or politics here, it always clouds the actual discussion. Don't give up, most of our long time members have put their foot in it at some point, including me, and we are still here. You clearly have a sense of humour, that is really what it takes to survive gymnastics.

I think it is, unfortunately, human nature to lodge a complaint more than offer a compliment. Usually, when you have a complaint, it involves anger. This can be a strong emotion that has a hormonal response because of adrenaline. So someone crosses you, it angers you, adrenaline is released, and you are more prone to some kind of activity. When you are pleased, your brain releases endorphins, yes, but they don't spur you to action

I try to be aware of that, too! I try to say positive things to our coaches. Not just to try to undo all of the negative they hear all day long, but also because I truly believe in the good they are doing. I try to do cards, verbal gratitude, small gifts, and even made a video to try to cheer up a coach who was having a particularly bad month. I love our coaches and it hurts me when they hurt. So you did good!

And like the others have said......you were very gracious with your "foot in mouth" apology and you aren't the only one who has done it! I swear I'm hitting about once a month. I've come to love the taste of my toe nail polish! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I taught rec classes for awhile and mostly had nice parents. But team parents, I think, are different. It's a competitive mindset and many of the parents are convinced their kid is the best (I've been guilty of this.) Something about costly sports, risky skills and individual competition being out the worst in many of us.

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I generally get more compliments than complaints.

I dunno about that gym. I would be looking up at the sky once I got in the parking lot. I might immolate upon walking in the door.

:pray:

I am interested in hearing about different gym philosophies, so no need to apologize for stating that your gym is Christian. There are no religiously affiliated gyms around here, but there are MANY church affiliated sports programs that are open to the whole community. The largest is called Upward (upward.org). I know the philosophy of their program is supportive coaching, limited practice/travel, and character development. I have no idea if prayer is involved. Personally, I wish DD's gym included some character development type stuff in their curriculum. Anyone who is familiar with Taekwondo knows how non-denominational values like integrity, hard work, respect, etc, are a very prominent part of training. While I believe gymnastics does instill these values, I do wish there was a more overt focus on character development in the sport.

And like the others have said......you were very gracious with your "foot in mouth" apology and you aren't the only one who has done it! I swear I'm hitting about once a month. I've come to love the taste of my toe nail polish! LOL

tsk, tsk............:)

I generally get more compliments than complaints.

I dunno about that gym. I would be looking up at the sky once I got in the parking lot. I might immolate upon walking in the door.

:pray:

If you believe you might burst into flames caused by a higher power- then you believe in said higher power, no?;)

:roundincircles: :D

My DD started intermediate rec yesterday and I love love love her new coach. So I told her after class that I really liked her teaching style and thought she was a great fit for my daughter. Then I thanked her for working so hard with these kids (she really does, she's awesome). The weird part is she was shocked and said she only ever hears from parents if they are complaining. :( This is a Christian gym, you would think that she would hear positive reinforcement fairly regularly. :( That just makes me sad. Is it really uncommon for people to compliment the coach?

My daughter also goes to a gym that prays at dismissal and before all meets. It's not called a "Christian" gym, just a Southern thing, I guess! That being said, the parents in the lobby do nothing but complain about the coaches. I made a bunch of parents mad by taking up for one and saying he was the best coach my daughter has ever had! Oh well....I have learned most gym parents are cray cray! I drop off and leave 99% of the time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back