Conditioning for tramp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
So we've just recently started a tramp preteam, and at least for the moment I'm heading the program. I've been looking for some good conditioning programs for trampoline.

It seems to me that kettlebell workouts should be extremely effective; from what I can tell, basic kettlebell swings appear to hit most of the muscles that I'd want trampolinists to develop. However, having very little experience coaching trampoline and zero experience training with kettlebells, I could use some advice.

First, can young athletes (say, 8-12) safely condition with kettlebells, assuming they ("they" meaning the kettlebells, not the athletes) are not too heavy?

Second, am I correct in my assumption that kettlebell swings are a good supplement to trampoline training?

Third, if the answer to the above two questions is "yes," what's a good weight to start them at?

Fourth, where can I learn more about proper form and execution on kettlebell exercises?

Last edited:
I would shy away from it and use resistance bands instead with under 12s. All concern over using weights beside, the design of kettlebells is not suited to the way 8 year olds like to stand way too close to each other, etc. Or a distracted kid looking across the gym and hitting their face or some. Resistance bands can offer similar conditioning with a safer design.

I can picture an 8 year old ( especially boys) swinging a kettle bell. To quote Dunno "YIKES" To quote a kid," I didn't MEAN to hit him!". Start those weights with preteens at the earliest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back