Coaches Conditioning numbers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
We just today had strength testing with my girls and I'm happy they all have increased their maximum numbers but at the same time I'm a little worried. How should I organize the conditioning when the strength level of this groups varies A LOT?

These are their results just to give you an idea what kind of varying I'm talking about:

LEG LIFTS in 30 seconds:

the highest number 17, the lowest number 1, average number being 10

CHIN UPS in 30 seconds:

the highest number 11, the lowest number 5, average number being 8

BOX JUMPS (50 cm) in 30 seconds:

the highest number 37, the lowest number 24, average number being 32

laying on stomach hips being on the edge of a block, horizontal upper body HOLD (back muscles work):

the longest hold 1 min 57 seconds and the shortest hold 27 seconds, average hold being 1 min 16 seconds

ROPE CLIMB without feet:

the highest number of steps 24, the lowest number of steps 4, average number of steps being 11

Usually they always do the same numbers when we do conditioning but for me it's hard to set the numbers that are ok for everyone. 10 leg lifts is easy for most but a struggle for some etc.... I want them all to improve, not just the weaker ones.

Any ideas how to make it work for everyone when their strength level varies so much? Do you have groups that are equally strong or does it vary like this?

My group vary a lot too. Some can do pull-ups and then pull-over. A couple can't do a single pull-up.

I like to ask them to do as much as they can in a certain amount of time. I have an application on my phone to do date. For example, yesterday we had a set of 5 different exercises. They did them during 45 secondes and had a 15 secondes break. So every 45 and 15 secondes, a bell rang. Then they had 1 minute of break. We did 4 sets of 5 exercises I think the amount of time was good as the strongest ones were tired, the weakest ones took breaks and had to push it through till the end.

I condition like catou said. I set up stations and I have as many as they can do in the time frame, then a short break while rotating groups to the next station. I use this mainly for strength. For cardio I so relay style training ( sliders, shuttles, jumps, etc)Adds a little competition and fun to working out.

Use the progressions. Practice 30 second leg lifts everyday, have them start holding the bottom rung of the wall bars and laying on their back. They will do their leg lifts from here until they can do 20-30 in 30 seconds. Have another child count while you time. This will be easy for the strong girls. So they get to move up to doing it on an incline with their hands a little higher and their feet a little lower, but not quite vertical. Again they need to get 20-3o to move up. Then they can go to hanging from the bars. Get maybe 15-20 this time. Then they move to doing it to legs only halfway down, L position, rather than full hangs. If you don't have stall bars do all of these progressions using a mat behind the bar. The floor ones you can use a floor bar.

Pull ups they can start with their feet in a band that is looped around a high bar or just with a partner holding their ankles. Again 30 second time, achieve 10 (personally I don't think you need to go past that personally for a single set. Then they move to hanging in a tuck balancing a block on their knees. Need to get 10. Then something harder (pull up pullovers?).

For all exercises, modify for progressions and numbers. Then do 2-3 sets every day.

I don't do exactly this, prefer more variety, though day to day I do some variation of these progressions on the harder exercises (rope, presses, leg lifts). Otherwise I generally do various exercises for time, stronger kids do more and weaker kids go slower which is fine, just monitor all the kids and make them aware of correct positions and what is too fast, etc. But if this is what you test on and this is what they must have then doing it this way will progress them. Again I would aim for smaller numbers when doing the full exercises you stated (the easier progressions should have a higher number). Then when they are doing sets of 10 pull-ups, they should be more than ready to move to a harder exercise involving more muscle groups or complex movements. Just make sure they are doing everything properly.

I place the kids into conditioning groups and type up a special plan for each group that's designed to get the best results for their current level of fitness/strength. I currently have four different levels of difficulty that are tailored to the girls in the group. I print out these papers and put them in clear plastic sheet protectors. You just have to teach them what all the exercises are and off they go! Make sure you supervise. Designate a girl to be a "group supervisor" for any problem groups. That way, they'll notify you of any cheating or laziness.

Good ideas everyone! We already use circuits once a week but some days they have to condition on their own when the other half of the group is on bars (we only have one set of bars and one single rail so 12 kids on bars at the same time is way too many and also we need two spotters on bars)

So Aero's idea sounds good! I'm now planning on dividing them into 3 different groups based on their results and giving every group a color. Then I'll use those colors when I write conditioning sheets like this:

CHIN UPS: 7 / 10 / 12

LEG LIFTS:
5 / 8 / 12

etc...

And they just do what their own color says.

Chalk bucket is brilliant - I only have to write my problem here and then I'm full of new ideas.

I have a group that really varies with strength as well, and conditioning for time is a struggle for some of them as they tend to get sloppy- usually the weaker kids who need the most work.
I have milestones for the group as a whole and they get a sticker when they reach that milestone and then are rewarded by getting a higher number to work for. Older kids might be against the idea of being awarded with doing more, but my younger, very motivated kids think it's a great challenge and are especially excited when they find out they can do more than the older team kids. And the stickers are also huge motivation for them. Last night I had kids ask to do extra conditioning in attempts to earn their sticker which I certainly didn't complain about!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back