WAG Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know there's already a thread about this , but how much time do you really need for conditioning at practice. For the past 5 years we have had conditioning for 45 minutes ever day but now we have to condition for 2 hours out of a 4 hour practice and not just once a week every day. I really don't think that it's needed, it hasn't done me any good just makes me too tired to do actual skills. I'm even thinking about not doing swim team this summer because I'll be too tired to do anything if I do both. I really don't understand the point if it. Could someone please explain...

Conditioning is the most important part of gymnastics, if you do not have the body strength or shaping then you will not be able to do the skills and if you can do them then they will not be in the correct shape and you would be heavily deducted in meets, with our minis at our gym (pre team) their whole sessions are based around conditioning as it will make them better gymnast in the future. For example they might not have as high difficulty as some other gymnasts but when they do get the skills they are usually done with much better form and score better in meets. How long have you been doing it for 2 hours? It could just be your body is still adjusting to the change, you probably don't remember but when you first started the 45 mins of conditioning you were really tired but your body adjusted and you find that easy/easier now :)

The focus right now is building your strength base rather than your skillset. Pretty common in the off-season.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

My coaches just started us on a new strength schedule. Its 40 minutes of every practice. So 40 mins, 5 days a week.

They don't think we need more than an hour a day as long as we dp strength every day. They understand that it tires us out for our skills, but alao acknowledge that strength is going to keep the team from getting injured (which is a lot unfortunately). I agree with their plan. It'll take a little getting used to but we'll make it work. I think 30-60 minutes of a 4 hour practice is enough if that's what yoyr looking for. Remembering to stretch good at the end of practice is important no matter how much strength you do because when you do strength your body gets tighter.

our girls are on heavy conditioning right now. I'd say almost two hours a day. building the strength and stamina for skill training this summer is my guess.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back