Parents Confused and concerned parent of level 5 boy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My son competed in level 5 this year and qualified for regionals. However he didn't do that well in regionals, so the coach decided to keep him in level 5. Now he says that he is borded and that his summer training isn't challanging. One thing i noticed is that he is only training 9 hours while the other nearby gyms are training for 14 hours a week. I am wondering if more hours and more skills might help him this competion season. On the other hand, maybe i could talk to the coach about moving him to level 6. I would hate to see him quit at this point. All this year he lived and breathed gymnastics, now he barely talks about it. What should I do?

Talk to the coach. If he's not willing to allow the conversation you should find somebody else that will listen.

He's 9. I have talked to the coach in the past, but he doesn't seem like he's willing to change anything regarding how my son trains in level 5. I am not sure if he will allow him to move up either. Is it wrong for me to move him to another gym if I feel he's not getting enough attention from his coach, enough hours in the gym and not being challanged?

I'd try talking to the coach again, and see what his "plan" is for your son. If your son isn't happy there, wants more hours, and feels bored, then try out another gym. Is there a lot of time waiting for turns, corrections, etc? I know this can be an issue for some kids, while others like the slower pace. It just depends on the gym and gymnast. You don't always get it right on the first try, just like any other life experience. Good luck!

My son did level 5 3 times. It was a huge question mark for me on the 3rd year as a 9 year old because he was in the top 20 in regionals. However, the coach did see that he was lacking some basics that would affect him in the future years. He could do them, but not consistently. It was the best decision ever. D has some great basics, and is making huge leaps.

I am one that thinks that the coach tends to have the best interests of my child. I trust him, and know that his plan for D will get him where he needs to be.

I know during the summer, our gym goes back to basics in most areas, and reworks all of the things that they need to have...pointed toes, good lunges, handstands, etc. Basics and conditioning. It is a lot different.

THat being said, asking the coach what the plan is for your son makes sense. Just so that the 2 of you are on the same page. i had that talk with our coach last night because of some practice restructuring. I was frustrated during practice, but once I talked to coach, I felt like he and I were on the same page.

He's 9. I have talked to the coach in the past, but he doesn't seem like he's willing to change anything regarding how my son trains in level 5. I am not sure if he will allow him to move up either. Is it wrong for me to move him to another gym if I feel he's not getting enough attention from his coach, enough hours in the gym and not being challanged?

he's okay where he is for 9. but the lack of coaching attention is another matter. what's that about?

I know nothing about boys gymnastics, but in general, I would say talk to the coach, but bring up your concern about his boredom and losing interest in gymnastics as it isn't challenging, then asking the coach what they recommend. If you don't get much response (i.e. willingness to change anything--not necessarily reconsidering moving him up), then perhaps that's a sign to look somewhere else.

I don't know if they are adding new bonuses to L5 in the new routines to perhaps give him some new skills to compete regardless?

Also, bare in mind that the routines are going to be changed quite a bit for L5.

As for making regionals at L5. Here's how to do it ToBeHonest. Show up at States and don't bomb. They often need to fill numbers for Regionals and make the meet a financial success. That's why L5 go to Regionals as do L6's.

There is a big step from L5 to L6 in Men's gymnastics. Arguably bigger than the one the girls now go through.

I would prefer to see them training more than 9 hours in the summer if it's possible. Sometimes it isn't because of crunching numbers to offer 14 hours or scheduling it in a gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back