Parents Could my daughter join Xcel if she’s dyslexic/has trouble following verbal directions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

AvocadoJam

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My 8 yo daughter is interested in competing. She has been described as a very capable gymnast. However, she has dyslexia and has slow auditory processing speeds due to being dyslexic. She may seem like she’s zoned out when she’s trying to process, especially in crowded or loud settings such as a gym. It seems the JO program would be too intense for her. But could an Xcel program be a good fit? What is the selection process for the Xcel program? Looking for an environment in which she can compete and learn skills that will be supportive of her learning differences. Would anyone have recommendations for a competitive program in the Seattle area that may be suitable for her?
Thank you ☺️

I think she could definitely try. The selection criteria might vary between gyms and what vision they have of the excel program. I can't give you tips about gyms because I live in Europe.

I'd check with the gym and explain it to them. Have you experienced that JO is too intense or is that your expectation? Because if it's very structured, that could also end up being a benefit. If Xcel is more chaotic that could also make it more difficult for her. I would say be honest with the gym and ask their opinion, they know their programmes best. And if the coach knows what's up, they can keep it into account for your kid.

By the way, is slow auditory processing a part of dyslexia? I have slow processing due to ADHD/autism, and I have dyslexia, but I've never heard of slow processing being related to dyslexia.

Bothell Gymnastics Club is north of the city and has a great xcel program with understanding coaches. I worked there until our first child was born and still have great relationships with some of the staff and ownership there.

I also previously worked at Seattle Gymnastics Academy but never in the Xcel program and I haven't been there as recently to know what the coaches are like there now.

I have a boy and at least half the boys on team are neurodiverse. We have understanding caches, so it works. The boys with similar challenges to your daughter tend to take private lessons a couple times per month to get personalized instruction when the gym is quiet. That works well.

By the way, is slow auditory processing a part of dyslexia? I have slow processing due to ADHD/autism, and I have dyslexia, but I've never heard of slow processing being related to dyslexia.
Slow auditory processing, formally known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is related to, but not caused by or part of, dyslexia. CAPD, dyslexia, ADHD, autism, SPD, etc. all have some traits that overlap and many people who are diagnosed with one of these disorders actually have more than one.

CAPD is formally diagnosed by an audiologist. If the gymnast is really struggling, even after making the difficulties known to the coach, the audiologist can fit a remote microphone system where the coach will wear a small microphone and the gymnast will wear a small receiver in one or both ears so that the coaches voice is transmitted directly to her ear in order to overcome the noise, reverberation, etc. that cause distraction and processing difficulty in the gym environment.

I'd check with the gym and explain it to them. Have you experienced that JO is too intense or is that your expectation? Because if it's very structured, that could also end up being a benefit. If Xcel is more chaotic that could also make it more difficult for her. I would say be honest with the gym and ask their opinion, they know their programmes best. And if the coach knows what's up, they can keep it into account for your kid.

Thanks for the tips. We tried a JO-equivalent program overseas and the coach said she wasn’t attentive enough for it (her skills were fine and she did well in competitions but they complained that she didn’t remember directions during trainings and they wouldn’t make accommodations for her disability but I’m hoping to find coaches that will accommodate or accept her in the US). Perhaps we should be open to either JO or XCel depending on the club and not give up just because we had a bad experience overseas.
Regarding slow auditory processing, the fact sheet we received from her ed psych said the following:
A common co-occurrence. Slow processing
speed can exist on its own but often
co-occurs with issues like dyslexia and
ADHD.

Bothell Gymnastics Club is north of the city and has a great xcel program with understanding coaches. I worked there until our first child was born and still have great relationships with some of the staff and ownership there.

I also previously worked at Seattle Gymnastics Academy but never in the Xcel program and I haven't been there as recently to know what the coaches are like there now.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check it out.

Slow auditory processing, formally known as Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) is related to, but not caused by or part of, dyslexia. CAPD, dyslexia, ADHD, autism, SPD, etc. all have some traits that overlap and many people who are diagnosed with one of these disorders actually have more than one.

CAPD is formally diagnosed by an audiologist. If the gymnast is really struggling, even after making the difficulties known to the coach, the audiologist can fit a remote microphone system where the coach will wear a small microphone and the gymnast will wear a small receiver in one or both ears so that the coaches voice is transmitted directly to her ear in order to overcome the noise, reverberation, etc. that cause distraction and processing difficulty in the gym environment.
Wow I did not know this was possible. Thank you for the information. I will look into this.

I have a boy and at least half the boys on team are neurodiverse. We have understanding caches, so it works. The boys with similar challenges to your daughter tend to take private lessons a couple times per month to get personalized instruction when the gym is quiet. That works well.
Agreed! We worked out that pretty much all of the boys, and most of the coaches are either diagnosed or are likely ND! It seems to be a really common thing in gymnastics. 🙂

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

The Shaposhnikova Skills in the 2025-28 CoP

Back