Crazy gym EVERYONE.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

CoachGoofy

Today I coached the first artistic meet I've done in a while.

Hoooboy. Coaches are crazy.

There's the team that is occupying 2/3 of the floor during warmup, and their coaches are encouraging it. No. Stoppit. You are not 2/3 of the meet, you don't get 2/3 of the equipment. Sharing: we learned it in kindergarten. This isn't nature where you make yourself as big as possible to scare off predators. It's friendly(ish) competition where we want all athletes to have the opportunity to do well.

And then there's the coaches who now work with a few girls from a gym/sinking ship I left over a year ago. If a kid runs over and gives me a hug and is excited to see me, you better believe I am going to hug her back and be excited to see her too! I am not in any way shape or form trying to steal her for my team. Yes, they look amazing, coaches, and I am thrilled that they are thriving with you. I don't even coach artistic very much any more, but even if I did, I left my last gym (the one you inherited these lovelies from) on extremely good terms with the parents. If I was what they were looking for, they have known where I am for well over a year. They are coming to your gym, and guess what? I support that. You don't need to glare at me like that. What is best for her right now is to be with you. She has gotten SO GOOD and that's great and I am thrilled to see her, but don't worry, I am not trying to steal her away.

I'm thinkin that maybe *all* gym people are crazy...

I think the women tend to be crazier than the males but that's probably because there are way more coaches in WAG and they are women =-P That and maybe just maybe the guys are more willing to use alternative means to relax and chill out. Aka drink beer after a night of coaching. WAG is a crazier environment than MAG anyways but that's because of the numbers and the atmosphere. Let's not even talk about the majority of the judges.

I was working the hospitality room at a meet last year. And there were two coaches in the room eating. Now, Im going around making sure things are clean and such and when people talk..there is only so much I can do NOT to hear what is being said. Well this lady coach comes storming in the hospitality room..all kinds of bent out of shape. Shes going on and on about how they took points off on her L3s floor routines because her girls did a backbend kickover..instead of a bridge-up kickover. I mean this woman was about to lose her mind. There was a male coach there that told her..so long ago (not sure..think he said a couple years) they changed it from the back bend to the bridge up. Because too many of the itty bitties were getting hurt. He then went on to explain (when she just stood there with her mouth hanging open like this is the first she has heard of it since the change years ago) that the little ones dont have the shoulder flexibilities or strength to safely pull it off. So to be safe the changed it to the bridge up. She proceded to talk about how stupid that was..yadda yadda yadda. He said he would rather have safe gymnasts than injured gymnasts. That the rules and guidlines are there for a reason. She then said that if a girl couldnt do a back bend then she shouldnt be in gymnastics. She stormed out of the room..and pulled her team from the rest of the meet.
Last year was my DD first year on team..and my first year with any experience in the competitive world of gymnastics..and this was the first meet of the year. So I got intruduced to it from the first meet..lol. It blew my mind. But you are right..they are out there. There are CGCs as well as the CGMs.
Lets just say by the time those two coaches were done talking..that hospitality room was spotless.

I was working the hospitality room at a meet last year. And there were two coaches in the room eating. Now, Im going around making sure things are clean and such and when people talk..there is only so much I can do NOT to hear what is being said. Well this lady coach comes storming in the hospitality room..all kinds of bent out of shape. Shes going on and on about how they took points off on her L3s floor routines because her girls did a backbend kickover..instead of a bridge-up kickover. I mean this woman was about to lose her mind. There was a male coach there that told her..so long ago (not sure..think he said a couple years) they changed it from the back bend to the bridge up. Because too many of the itty bitties were getting hurt. He then went on to explain (when she just stood there with her mouth hanging open like this is the first she has heard of it since the change years ago) that the little ones dont have the shoulder flexibilities or strength to safely pull it off. So to be safe the changed it to the bridge up. She proceded to talk about how stupid that was..yadda yadda yadda. He said he would rather have safe gymnasts than injured gymnasts. That the rules and guidlines are there for a reason. She then said that if a girl couldnt do a back bend then she shouldnt be in gymnastics. She stormed out of the room..and pulled her team from the rest of the meet.

I am utterly aghast.

I assume that crazy coaches are generally unaware they're crazy.

I hope somebody will call me out on it and/or slap me in the face if I ever get that crazy.

Last gym meet I went to. Our strongest local (as in within two hours) gym had a big team and they always do very well at meets, beautiful skills, presentation. Just lovely. Well all the stars aligned badly and every girl on their team fell off beam, the coach was FURIOUS, she yelled at the all in the middle of the meet and then made them sit in a line facing the wall for a whole rotation as a punishment.

I was sitting with our gyms parents, and we were right next to the girls. We were all appalled and more then one mom said that she would've taken her kid home right then and there. The girls were crying and just looking stunned. Needless to say the rest of the meet didn't go to well.

Crazy does not belong to parents alone.

@CoachGoofy

You show amazing restraint...

If someone even DARED trying to pull that stunt on warm ups by taking 1/3rd of the floor with their team (and they weren't 1/3 of the meet), you would see my face in the paper!

JK

kinda.

Yep. Compulsory. Level 5 girls. I decided I don't miss it a whole lot--T&T is a whole other kind of nuts.

Its not just gymastics either. My ds was playing in an all star little league game and his coach punched a referee. The cops were called and our team wasn't welcome at the tournament anymore. It was really quite embarassing.

**sportsmommy**

Its not just gymastics either. My ds was playing in an all star little league game and his coach punched a referee. The cops were called and our team wasn't welcome at the tournament anymore. It was really quite embarassing.

**sportsmommy**

Oh my gosh!

I can't even imagine anyone throwing down like that at a gym meet...

Well, ok, I can, but I have an active imagination. I can't think of a coach in my head who would do that.

Sign me up for the "slap me if I get to be that kind of crazy" registry. Good gravy!

There ain't no crazy like Little League crazy. A lot of glory days dads with fantasies of college scholarships for their sons. Seems like there is a lot less of that in gymnastics, and even when there is, at least the former gymnast-parent usually isn't coaching and picking the all star team!

The coach my daughter formerly had would openly brag about how she was told, at a meet, by another coach to back off her gymnasts because they were after all very young and level 5. She thought that was somehow a great compliment to her toughness and that of her gymnasts:/ She also openly argued with a judge during a meet and thought it was funny too....I think I have seen crazy, not just from the parent side:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back