Parents Crop tops and shorts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

Just recently there has been a knew trend in our gym for some of the younger gymnasts (age 7-8) to wear tight crop tops and gym shorts (usually made out out of the same material as leotards), what do you think of these? I think they look kind of cute but the gymnasts who wear them have more exposed skin that could easily get chaffed on the bar. I think these are more suited to dance classes than the gym. One of the older girls in dd's group wore a two piece suit a week ago (she hasn't worn it again since then, I am not sure if the coach told her not to wear it or not).

They are quite popular in our gym at this time of year (mainly older girls though - 12+). They don't bother me one way or another as my dd doesn't like them and doesn't wear them. I've also wondered if bars could rub, but assume the girls wouldn't wear them if that was the case.

Not allowed in our gym either, but I know the "rival" gym allows them. I can't imagine that being very comfortable on bars... My ODD is a dancer and wears them all the time for dance, even acro, but what they do is quite different from team level gymnastics. I could see it being ok for littler ones in rec classes perhaps....

Not sure how I feel about it in the gym setting!! Sounds painful on bars! Like surprisegymmom said, I think they are more appropriate for dance!! We also don't have anyone older then 13 at our gym, so that might be the difference right there!

My kid wore one to practice and was promptly sent out and told to go get on a leotard before returning to practice.

They aren't allowed in our gym and I am glad. I am absolutely certain my DH would flip out. I don't see the need or functionality, personally.

It's definitely popular with the kids who do dance. Our old gym had a drop in/open gym type thing mainly for tumbling, and ALL of those kids wore two pieces. If you're there to do gymnastics, leos only.

Owwww...those sound just painful in the gym! No way we are sporting those as Pea and I are currently butting heads about whether those tiny tush shorts and a leo are an actual outfit! :rolleyes:

They're very popular at our gym, many of the team (6 years and up) girls wear them. Fortunately, mine doesn't want to.
It's winter here now and the girls still wear them!!

Just recently there has been a knew trend in our gym for some of the younger gymnasts (age 7-8) to wear tight crop tops and gym shorts (usually made out out of the same material as leotards), what do you think of these? I think they look kind of cute but the gymnasts who wear them have more exposed skin that could easily get chaffed on the bar. I think these are more suited to dance classes than the gym. One of the older girls in dd's group wore a two piece suit a week ago (she hasn't worn it again since then, I am not sure if the coach told her not to wear it or not).

Not allowed at our gym and my gymnast will not wear them either. My youngest takes dance and has expressed interest in wearing them. The studio owner/teacher's daughter wears them. She is pretty good. So the other little ones like to emulate her. I don't like it. I think the mother and girl has the right to wear them. But personally, I don't even think it is appropriate for dance. I don't think even little ones wearing bikini like attire anywhere but the beach is appropriate. I don't like the massive make up they have the girls wear either. But note, I wore a two piece dance apparel at dance classes decades ago (our costumes for stage or small and big screen was skimpy too --:oops:. So, I am just getting old, crabby, conservative, and protective of little girls. If I had to redo the past, I'd still wear the clothes I wore. But would not allow my girls to wear them. Yes, what's good for the goose is not good for the gander.

Not allowed at DD's gym, either. Thank Goodness! This may sound unpopular or unkind but I think they are inappropriate for gymnastics. I can't imagine bars in them.

That is ok. I think they are inappropriate in general. I always loved that gymnastics had some level of modesty that things like cheerleading and dance don't have. Our girls grow up fast enough without dressing them skimpy. Just my 2 cents.

The thing my daughter tried to wear covered her midriff. It came all the way down to her shorts but the coach still put the kabosh on it. I was remembering it as a crop top but I see it in the pile of "to sell" leos and it's actually a tank top rather than a crop top. Still a no go...probably because it's two pieces.

I don't imagine they'd be allowed at our gym, but I wouldn't let DD wear them regardless. I don't care for the look. I don't think she'd care to be that exposed either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back