WAG Curious about gyms that sandbag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think its totally apples and oranges for some of us - with some gyms in areas where L1-3 are serious competitive levels, and some in areas where most girls don't compete until L3 or L4...so I can't "imagine" holding girls back at L1....but then, honestly, my DD worked on L1 skills from age 3-4 and then spent ages 5-8 working on old L5 skills....probably translates in there somewhere to "holding her back" at some low level for form issues...its just wasn't ever in those terms - and honestly was probably a lot cheaper (although one ages 7 and 8 were team years...with competition at age 8).

I never thought of it carefully - but in this context she did spend a couple of years working up to and perfecting her RO-BHS-BHS and form on her cartwheel and handstand on beam, kips and the dreaded front hip circle, etc....as well as a couple of earlier years doing 3 hours a week working pull overs, hand stands, bridges, kick-overs, etc....I was just lucky enough that it was in rec and pre-team! (and I mean financially lucky! plus I didn't have to do meet hair as young!) When I think of it this way I do feel that many "good" young gymnasts (or even older girls starting in rec here and spending a couple years there before team) may need more time in the pre-new L4 levels to get the form and strength they need to progress - its really just a matter of it your gym competes it and calls it team, or trains it and calls it rec/pre-team, etc...

There's a gym in our area that is often accused of sandbagging. I don't know anyone there, so I really can't say whether they have some cut-off point for advancing. I just took a look at how the girls have advanced over the past couple of years, and they almost all did advance--most level 4s last year were level 4s this year, but that's really the same as old level 5. Same for the level 3s. And, occasionally someone advanced up--so they were level 3 last year, and they are level 4 this year (which would be last year's level 5). And yes, they tend to do quite well on the podium (not so much sweep, because often they have 1, maybe 2 girls in each age group)--So they've got to be uptraining, whether or not they are sandbagging.

They are definitely not making gymnasts repeat, as much as rumor would suggest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back