WAG Cutting floor music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so I'm getting the sense that it's not really ok to cut and use a song from YouTube. I did buy the original years ago but it has become very static-y. I'd be happy to buy it again but don't remember where I got it I emailed about 6 different floor music sites and none of them carry it. Is it still not ok to use the YouTube version? I don't really have any other option.
Thanks for the info on Garage Band. I haven't tried either that or Audacity yet but I will soon.

Eh. Back to the grey area since you have purchased it before. It would IMO be better if the parents had purchased it before; but honestly, I don't forsee anyone coming after you for this either way.

One thought, do you know the artist? Sometimes you can contact them directly. I wanted to use a song for my website and just couldn't come up with anything that I liked as much. I contacted the band directly. They aren't a no name band - had a top 10 in the 90s and some other popular songs. Continue playing and still have some if their new stuff on the radio. My husband told me I needed to come up with a different so g, intended for commercial use. That they were going g to want way more than I had budgeted. They got back to me, let me use any of their music for free as long as I give them credit and have proven to be an amazing group of guys. Even inviting my kids up to play on stage with them after a show!

Agreed with the Audacity recommendation.

A couple of suggestions when cutting with audacity:
1) The zoom function is your friend
2) cuts usually sound smoother if they happen right on a drum hit, or something else like that. The burst of noise can hide the clicks that sometimes result from cutting.
3) The zoom function is your friend.
4) Count the beats, try to keep the basic rhythm/time signature intact. It seems like a minor thing, but I can't even count how many times I've heard tracks cut mid-measure such that beats were missing, and the result is quite jarring. Keeping the rhythm as intact as possible will make it easier for the gymnast (not to mention the choreographer) to match the beat. It will also make it much easier on the ears when you spend several months hearing the track over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
5) Seriously, the zoom function is your best friend. It's worth taking the time to learn how to zoom in and out with just hotkeys.

LOL, Geoffery! I wholeheartedly agree that the zoom function is your best friend when cutting with Audacity. Dang, I should have thought of the hotkeys while I was editing! I'll figure those out next time! You also explained very well how to cut musically, to not disrupt the rhythm of the song. I think preserving musical phrasing is the most challenging part of editing music. (that, and getting lost in Audacity while zoomed in!)

Eh. Back to the grey area since you have purchased it before. It would IMO be better if the parents had purchased it before; but honestly, I don't forsee anyone coming after you for this either way.

One thought, do you know the artist? Sometimes you can contact them directly. I wanted to use a song for my website and just couldn't come up with anything that I liked as much. I contacted the band directly. They aren't a no name band - had a top 10 in the 90s and some other popular songs. Continue playing and still have some if their new stuff on the radio. My husband told me I needed to come up with a different so g, intended for commercial use. That they were going g to want way more than I had budgeted. They got back to me, let me use any of their music for free as long as I give them credit and have proven to be an amazing group of guys. Even inviting my kids up to play on stage with them after a show!
These same things apply in Garage Band... zoom as far in as you need to make sure there isnt a gap in the music (even a split second can throw everything off). Also, make the ending seem logical... I hate when it ends mid-measure... especially when it is obvious that they just cut it at exactly the time limit!
I would rather be slightly under time if it gives a better end point... or cut more of the "repeating measures" and move the rest up.

Perhaps another helpful hint for meeting the music's time limit, is to speed up/slown down the music track by just a tiny bit, if you have all your cuts in place, and you don't quite meet the time requirement. I had to do that to preserve the musicality, and the end result was barely noticeable. It can save a lot of frustration in trying to shave off a few seconds. (-:

Ok - I'm not an attorney, but we do know these laws fairly well since we want to stay strictly legit! So this is all to the best of my knowledge.

1) Downloading and using music from YouTube is illegal. And just cause you might not get caught is a pretty poor excuse to go ahead and do it. Not a good example for our kids.

2) If you purchase a song from ITunes for example, copyright law allows you to use it however you like as long as it is only for your own personal use. In other words, you can't sell it or make money from it in any way. You can edit it and use it ONLY for personal use.

3) If someone charges you to edit music, even if you provide the CD, they are breaking the law because by editing it they create a new product and sell it in the eyes of the law. They may say they are only charging for their service, but that is simply not how the law sees it according to our Intellectual Property attorney. That is why Energym turns down numerous requests each year to "cut" someone's music.

4) Energym purchases the required mechanical licenses to sell our music. We NEVER sell someone else's recording. Every track we sell is created by us from scratch in our studios.

5) If a coach tells your daughter she can use a track that the coach has collected in the past from Energym or any of our competitors, she/he is giving out stolen music. Please don't take it. Our music can only be legally used by the gymnast for whom it is originally purchased.

6) For more, see our "Staying Legal" page.

I hope this helps!

5) If a coach tells your daughter she can use a track that the coach has collected in the past from Energym or any of our competitors, she/he is giving out stolen music. Please don't take it. Our music can only be legally used by the gymnast for whom it is originally purchased.
I hope this helps!
What if the coach purchased the music for her own use and does not charge the gymnast for the use of the music... and it is only used within THAT gym? Seems like that might fall into a grey area since it is STILL the coach's music.

Great question.

I can't speak for our competitors, but the terms of agreement for Energym's music specify that the music is to be used only by the athlete for whom it is originally purchased:

"Customer's Rights & Obligations. The use of the sound recording, arrangement and lyrics embodied in the Music Selection is limited solely to Customer and for the specified "Athlete" and "Athletic Event" indicated above under "Customer Information" for the Term and Territory specified herein."

It might help to clarify that the music is never the "coach's music" (or the athlete's for that matter). The song always belongs to the songwriter/publisher and the recording belongs to Energym. In essence, by purchasing a track from Energym you purchase the right to use our music for a specific purpose. Certainly we could never consent to a coach building a library of our music to hand out to gymnasts if we want to stay in business!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back