Cyst options... Surgery?help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have been a gymnast for a couple of years I'm not that elite but I'd like to be. In september of 2011 I got a cyst on my wrist. I stuck through the pain so I would be able to do gymnastics and I finally went to the doc and they drained it. A couple months ago I got another one on the same wrist it was to small to drain so they gave me cortisone shot. Just recently my wrist started hurting again when I put pressure on it and went to doc. They said it was a small cyst on one of my wrist bones that is causing the pain and is not a visible cyst. My options are I might have to get surgery n be out for about 2 months. I am 16 and I am really worried and upset bec I really wanted to get as far as I can in the sport and now if I have to get surgery, it's going to be like starting all over again.. It makes me want to cry. My mom isn't much of a help as she is not into sports .. Any advice on getting through this... I was suppose to be going to a gymnastic camp for the summmer for 4 days a week but I don't know if that will be an option now and I don't want to lose all the skills I already have :(

Hey

I had a gymnast for through the samething. I would suggest to have the surgery and get it out of the way. You most likely do lots of numbers so your body will not forget the skills. After the surgery go into the gym condition work on flexibility do beam complex with no hand (ie kicks, split jumps, switch leaps, standing tucks) do you physical therapy and keep a positive attitude. It might not even take you a full two months to heal. Slowly start tumbling on tumble trac and let your body dictate what to do. Remember a doctors job is to assure that you are pain free, but what gymnast is ever pain free!! Good luck.

Listen to your doctor. Clearly you've had the same issue repeatedly, so they probably have a good reason for changing up the treatment plan.

The actual surgery is less than 1 hour with a very short recovery time. Discuss how long the doctor feels you need to lay off any use of the wrist. Remember you can always condition, stretch and work dance moves while you're healing.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm getting my surgery done this tuesday I'm hoping it will heal fast. It's going to be hard to keep a positive attitude but I'm going to do my best. Haha Ur right when is a gymnast ever pain free? Thank you :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back