Parents Dance / Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is ballet-type dancing the best for gymnasts? My DD used to take ballroom lessons. I would love it if she resumed those (I love ballroom dancing). But would that be beneficial for her gymnastics?

Is ballet-type dancing the best for gymnasts? My DD used to take ballroom lessons. I would love it if she resumed those (I love ballroom dancing). But would that be beneficial for her gymnastics?
My personal opinion, ballet barre work provides the greatest advantage to gymnastics, if I had to pick one thing. Also both traditional and lyrical ballet, will help. When you are watching floor routine after floor routine, in a compulsory level, you can almost always pick out the dancers.

Yes for sure !!

I sat at meets last year thinking that while watching girls doing floor routines, they were much more proficient with their lines... If you can stick it and graceful you got it !!

My personal opinion, ballet barre work provides the greatest advantage to gymnastics, if I had to pick one thing. Also both traditional and lyrical ballet, will help. When you are watching floor routine after floor routine, in a compulsory level, you can almost always pick out the dancers.

My Dd does ballet in gym and an hour class each week outside gym. It is doing wonders for her grace and slowing down to pay attention to her body positions. It is beginning to show in her gym routines and scores:)

My 8 yr I'd just started a 1.5 hr ballet class this year, outside of the one hour of dance in training. She is a muscular/strong type, so the teacher acknowledged she'd work on her shoulders and fluidity, to match the power she currently has. It has made such a difference in the short time.

I hope she continues with it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back