Dance lessons for gymnasts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
What type of dance instruction work best for gymnasts? I was thinking ballet but wasn't sure.

Background: Dd11 will be training L7 this summer. She has never been involved in dance and her gym doesn't do any training in it. Over the years, she has improved her lines on floor and beam but she still struggles a bit with rhythm and balance. So we have been thinking that dance might help with this. Nothing major, just some lessons to work on what will help her for gymnastics.

I really wish we would have had the forethought to do this 5 yrs ago. But dd wanted nothing to do with dance back then. Now she sees the benefit.

It sounds like she would benefit from some barre work. A ballet technique class might help. What is available depends on what dance places are near you. If it's a studio with recreational and competition tracks, you might ask if you can enroll her in one of the basic ballet technique classes the competition dancers take. The beginner recreational ballet classes may not give her what she needs. Also, you could call a classical ballet/contemporary dance school (usually affiliated with a professional dance company) if there is one in your area. Their level one or two dancers will be younger than your daughter and probably require more hours than she can do, but they may have someone who is willing to give some private lessons. Or they may have a teen and adult open class which could work, since this would tend to have people who used to dance and would care a little more about technique. I think it's great that you're thinking about it! My young daughter still does both ballet/contemporary and gymnastics. Even from observing her early level of ballet, I can see that some of the incredible athletes (level 10s even some of elite gymnasts) have terrible dance skills, even in just being able to hold and move their hands to make a beautiful line instead of these strange broken birdie wing or stiff clawlike moves. Are there any other girls at her gym who are interested? Maybe they could bring someone in once a week or offer something at their studio for a small group of girls... Balance, not sickling, body position, hand/arm/toe/leg arm positions are building blocks of beginning ballet technique.

I second the recommendation for teen/adult ballet classes at a serious dance school, ideally one affiliated with a professional company, if they will take an 11-year-old in that group. As a very general rule of thumb (there are, of course, always exceptions), I have found that the use of a live piano accompanist rather than recorded music seems to be a good signal of a more serious program with better instruction.

This won't be immediately helpful, but in another couple of years you might want to look into ballet classes at your local community college. I took a very good ballet class at a community college one summer while I was in high school. The students ranged in age from about 13 to over 40, and it was unbelievably inexpensive.

Thanks everyone. We are looking to do private lessons to maximize her time on what she needs individually. We have several dance studios in the area and I know at least two compete regionally and place well. Hopefully they have someone who can offer some privates. I'm not adverse to a class, per se, but dd would rather do private and in this situation, it just seems like it would work best, since we are looking for specific areas to work on.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I would advise going with a studio that is more for classical ballet (i.e. one that does annual performances instead of competition dance). In general, competitive dance studios seem to be less likely to teach proper technique. There are obviously exceptions to this (abby lee's studio is actually one of them), but for the most part you will get the best technical instruction at a classical studio. The ballet technique is what will benefit her gymnastics, not learning all the "tricks" as quickly as possible, as is usually the main focus of a competitive studio.

Here's a fantasy for you...... I'd love to see the artistic director at the top professional ballet and comtemporary dance company/school here in town collaborate with the tumbling coach at a gym to choreograph routines for a couple of Level 10 gymnasts. That would be soo cool and amazing!!! Ahhh, one can only dream..

There is a coach on here with a great dance background, she teaches devo at a big name gym. You can be sure those tinies are doing dance as part of their gym hours.

Ballet is a great choice.

Also, keep in mind that there is no "crash course" or "fast track" in ballet. Ballet training takes time. A LONG time. I would suggest a teen beginner ballet class, because that way she can see the form of the other girls and learn in a adequate-paced environment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back