Parents Daughter doing gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sascis

Proud Parent
Hi im new to the forum my daughter is 4 in a few weeks and has shown an interest in gymnastics. She also wants to do ballet. She's 95 cm and 7.17 kg and i feel her size would be more suited to gymnastics. Does anyone here have a child do both does it become a problem at all. Also any advice on what to expect regarding gymnastics. Many thanks.

She's only 4, so put her in both, chances are she will grow out of her current body size :) so who knows what she will be best at when she's older. Contrary to what movies and TV lead you to believe, children of all body types can do many different sports, and many sports have athletes with all different kinds of body types. Right now she's young and it's all about having fun and staying active.

7kg? At 4?

I'd worry less about the gymnastics and have her to a dr.

Reactions: sce
7kg? At 4?

Shes 1 stone 13 and shes had check ups by health visitors and shes fine shes been tiny since birth. She eats well but has a tiny petite frame.

7kg? At 4?

Hoping she meant 17.7...but yeah. That would be an issue.

Otherwise, if you can, do both at her age. They will both help each other, and seh can see which one she likes better.

Reactions: sce
1st 13 is over 12 kg, a bit up from 7 :)

But at 4, you don't know what they'll end up like. My dd started school with some real tinies that have overtaken her by age 8.

Keep her in a variety of activities that she enjoys, and see where it takes you.

1st 13 is over 12 kg, a bit up from 7 :)

But at 4, you don't know what they'll end up like. My dd started school with some real tinies that have overtaken her by age 8.

Keep her in a variety of activities that she enjoys, and see where it takes you.
Thanks yes i was getting my conversions mixed up. Shes a healthy 12 kg tiny but very healthy.

Do both, or one at a time and let her enjoy. My daughter did both at that age. And many other activities. Dance was her first love. It was later on that she fell in love with gymnastics. Ultimately, I think it's more about what drives you than what you are "built" for. Have fun trying stuff out. We loved it all. :)

She seems to love both she does love dancing. It works out more expsensive that she likes both but at least she wants to do something.

Put her in both. DD did both when she was your daughter's age and loved gymnastics and ballet equally

For comparison, DD was in the 95th percentile for height and 97th percentile for weight when she was 4. Her doctor told us she would be tall. She is now (at age 9) in the 45th percentile for height and 40th percentile for weight. She is very muscular but hasn't grown or gained weight in almost a year. As much as doctors love to try, they cannot predict how your DD will grow. Try not to plan activities based on her body type. Plan her activities based on her interests.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back