Parents Deductions for not wearing matching leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

IreneKa

Proud Parent
When during the summer I thought DD would be level 3 this season, I bought a competition leo that all level 3 and up are wearing. Expensive, long-sleeved, nice leo. Then at the end of the summer we were told that she will be in L2, and that L1s and L2s need a different leo. Those were much cheaper, so I didn't have a problem with paying for another leo. The leos arrived a week before the first meet, and they were all huge, at least a size bigger than they should be. After some swapping and exchanging we were able to get a leo that kind of fit, but it's still bigger than it should be at the bottom, and at the meet DD kept tugging at it every 5 seconds.
Now, our next meet is this Saturday. L2s and L3s are competing together - one session, one squad. We only have two L2s, DD and another girl. All L3s will be wearing those nice long-sleeved leos, and we are supposed to where the L2 one. I sooo don't want DD to wear that ugly thing. I cringe every time I'm remembering how uncomfortable she looked in it. So, I asked the coach if maybe DD could wear the same leo as L3s will be wearing, since we have one, and we are all in the same session. But she wasn't sure, she said that sometimes they might get deductions if the same level is not wearing the same leo. Is that true? Have you ever heard of getting deductions for that?
Thanks.

I can't imagine that there could be a deduction based on the leo. The don't think the judges have time to pay attention to that. Seems like the coach might be trying to not be the bad guy on this one.

I can't imagine that there could be a deduction based on the leo. The don't think the judges have time to pay attention to that. Seems like the coach might be trying to not be the bad guy on this one.
I agree plus I imagine the other L2 who doesn't have the nice Leo will feel funny being the only one in that Leo. Hope your dd does well in either way :)

I think that some coaches come up with some crazy things that they tell us parents kids will be deducted for. I can not imagine that there is a deduction for that.

under FIG rules there is a deduction for a team not wearing the same leotard

Non identical leotards (for gymnasts from same team) Team 0.3In C-I, IV taken 1 x in competition phase from apparatus where first recognized.

however you guys may have different regs

There's no deduction and I'm sure the coach just doesn't want you wearing that leo due to standard protocol. But no, the judges don't care or know.

Edit: my info is for USAG. I didn't know that about FIG rules, but it's not true for USAG.

Along these lines - is there a deduction if a hair scrunchie falls out during a routine? What about if it falls out and the hair falls from a bun to a pony tail? Also, is there a deduction if the hair comes down and touches the shoulders? (like if it is in a french braid and the braid extends to or past shoulder length, even if it stays out of the way.)

I had one mom insist that her daughter got a huge deduction for her scrunchie falling out (it didn't cause her to mess up and she didn't stop when it happened, the mom says it was just for it falling out). I have also heard coaches tell parents that if the hair touches the shoulders there is a deduction; but then I have seen teams that do pony tails (that hang just past shoulders) and french braids (that go past shoulders) and those teams seem to score just fine.

The hair thing is variable. It can possibly be taken but they'll warn you first usually. As for the scrunchie, I doubt it was any deduction and wouldn't have been more that 1 tenth.

Hair ties or glasses flying off can be a small deduction (around .10) if the judges choose to take it, so not a huge deduction by any stretch.

There is no deduction for mismatched leos. We have a gym in our state that never matches. It's almost like they tell the parents to just find any long sleeve leo they can and wear it.

Thank you all who replied. I also can't imaging the judges caring about the leos. I was sitting next to the judges at the last meet timing bars, and all they cared about was who was what level (there were multiple levels in the session).

Definitely no deduction on non-matching leos. It happens all the time...sometimes there are ordering mishaps and delays, etc., and the girls have to wear what they have.

No deduction here in the states that I know of. Our level 7's always have two different leo's.

That is so silly!! Of course I wouldn't let my 2s wear the 3s leo either. But that is just gym protocol.

Hair falling or glasses falling is not a deduction on its own. If anything it would be an artistry thing.

I don't get this! Honestly, the parent needs to just do it because the coach says it should be that way.

It's the coach's team. If you don't like the leotard or the hairstyle the coach wants your DD competing in, you are welcome to vote with your feet.

There is no official USAG deduction for mismatching leos but many gym are strict on what their teams look like and I think sometimes instead of having to defend why they want something a certain way say they will get a deduction.
In our first gym all girls had to have buns with hair sprayed to the max so no fly away hairs ever happened. Every bun had to be covered with a bun cover and a scrunchie around the bun, no bangs so if you had them then they got clipped back and sprayed to the max. Girls with short hair actually had some type of bun they pinned to their head so they would look the same. the only make up was mascara and maybe a little clear lip gloss. No nail polish, only very small studs in ears for earrings. Our current gym is very different. Optional girls can wear make up if it looks more natural, Clear nail polish if they want, any hair style so long as its up off the face. wear the leo and warm up that is for your level.

For you I would just have her wear the L2 leo and save or sell the other one. If its a little long in the crotch you can just pull it up and have a few wrinkles throughout the body. At L2 you are at the very beginning levels anyway and the judges really don't look at the little stuff.

under FIG rules there is a deduction for a team not wearing the same leotard

Yes, same here for our STEPs system which is based on FIG. We occasionally see girls in slightly different leotards, e.g. when orders haven't arrived in time. There is nothing about hair or scrunchies though.

I don't get this! Honestly, the parent needs to just do it because the coach says it should be that way.

It's the coach's team. If you don't like the leotard or the hairstyle the coach wants your DD competing in, you are welcome to vote with your feet.

Wow, that's a bit rude.
When they told me we need another leo, I didn't argue, even though I just paid over $100 for the first one. I just took out my check book, and wrote another check. I bought everything else they told us to buy - warmups, practice leo, even a matching backpack. So, after all these money I spent, I just want my daughter to be comfortable during the meet. Is that too much to ask?
And it's not like I bought a completely different leo of my choosing and I want her to wear it. It's a team leo! They are all one team, even if they are on different levels, aren't they?

For you I would just have her wear the L2 leo and save or sell the other one. If its a little long in the crotch you can just pull it up and have a few wrinkles throughout the body. At L2 you are at the very beginning levels anyway and the judges really don't look at the little stuff.

I'm not worried that she won't get to wear the nice leo. They want to move her up to L3 after this or maybe next meet. So, she will get to wear it eventually.
And it's not long, it's too wide at the bottom, so pulling it up won't help. If I could sew, I could probably take it in somehow, but I can't.

Wow, that's a bit rude.
When they told me we need another leo, I didn't argue, even though I just paid over $100 for the first one. I just took out my check book, and wrote another check. I bought everything else they told us to buy - warmups, practice leo, even a matching backpack. So, after all these money I spent, I just want my daughter to be comfortable during the meet. Is that too much to ask?
And it's not like I bought a completely different leo of my choosing and I want her to wear it. It's a team leo! They are all one team, even if they are on different levels, aren't they?

I think what she was trying to say is, you need to suck it up and wear the leo she's supposed to wear for her level. It stinks that you bought the other leo, but maybe you can save it or sell it to someone who needs it now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back