WAG Deductions for playing it safe?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
I wanted to know what anyone's opinion is on complete clean routines, that lack that extra power, or extra high jumps, etc. etc....
DD has been playing it so safe, that it has made her routines somewhat 'flat' in my opinion.....
She's got everything and seems fine with her form and artistry, it's just the jumping and running and marking all her positions clearly...
What are deductions if any???
I am sure her confidence will increase as the year progresses...

What level? Technically (from a scoring perspective) I think keeping it simple works pretty good through L7. Starting at L8 the judges can apply a deduction for not being up to level based on what the judge would likely see a gymnast do at regionals (so BHS-BHS series on beam would be expected and other series may get deducted). I think it's only up to .2 deduction though.

Additional deductions may apply for height/split/shape on jumps and dance (for artistry). I recall one of the judges posting on this site that they may deduction for "entertainment value" this year for L8 and above (my words in quotes - can't remember how it was described but seemed to be rewarding for presentation). None of these are large deductions individually.

Is she training 'safe skills' as well? I would be more concerned if she's not pushing herself in practice to progress.
Hopefully some of the judges can weigh in with more specifics.

I like clean routines, unless you define clean routines as simply mistake free. My sense of what a clean routine is would go much farther than being mistake free, because you can go higher, land more softly, or display a sense of ease as you perform a routine. If that's what a child is working toward, they'll continue to increase their overall gymnastics ability until they reach the point of diminishing returns.

It becomes a different matter if the child isn't exposed to new skills in training and has nothing prepared to take to the next level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back