WAG Difference between front handspring/ front walk over step out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My girls are 5 and were doing something today...the coach told me it was a front handspring step out or a running front walkover if I recall? Can someone tell me the difference between that and a regular front handspring...is it just that you land with 2 feet with front handspring? Which is a harder skill? Also they were doing the running part on the tumble track but then would a lot of times do the actual skill part on the end which was a mat...does this mean they could probably do it on the floor? We are leaving the gym they are doing this at to go back home from our summer and don't want to confuse their new coach back home:) thanks!!

right. front handspring lands 2 feet and step out is exactly how it sounds as 1 foot at a time and 1 foot lands out in front of the other hence "step out". :)

right. front handspring lands 2 feet and step out is exactly how it sounds as 1 foot at a time and 1 foot lands out in front of the other hence "step out". :)

I have a question if I may, Dunno.

My interpretation of a handspring step out is that it is a handspring- so the first half is the same as a handspring to two feet. Lunge, flight on to hands, feet join as you block, then as the upwards flight phase starts, *then* the legs separate into walk out. I vaguely remember reading some biomechanics stuff along with coaching and judging materials describing this.

However since getting back into gymnastics with DD, I have only really seen what should be described as a fast walkover- at no point do the feet join and there is no obvious block and second flight phase...

Any opinions on which is correct?

well, i guess there's both if we get precise. a handspring step out, i guess from the old days when it was in the compulsories at Class 2 circa 1977-1988, should have both legs coming together and then stepping out on the way down. but take a look at this. it's in our elite compulsory. click on tumbling. and then click on 1a or 1b and watch Becca Ross.

:: USA Gymnastics :: 2010 Elite Compulsory Videos ::

hmmm

Faith I would not see that move as a handspring, more a running walkover, but then you and I are of a similar vintage. BG lists skills as Handspring to one, handspring to two

Looking at the COP diagrammes, the handspring to two has the feet joined, whereas the handspring to one has them split all the way through, although closer at the top of the handstand.

handspring cop.png

And then D starts talking about a front handspring step out, front handspring, bounder. I just watch and nod.

And then there is also something that my daughter calls a flyspring that looks very front handspringy. Don't know how it is different from a front handspring.

And then there is also something that my daughter calls a flyspring that looks very front handspringy. Don't know how it is different from a front handspring.

Flyspring over here is handspring take off two leg :)

Last edited:
What is it for? It doesn't look like something that they can build upon like the front walkover and front handspring.

My understanding is that a handspring includes a prop, that is the hands bounce off the floor, whereas a walkover doesn't. I would also expect walkovers to be 'archier' than handsprings. The Rebecca Bross video is interesting as what she does looks right in between to me, they look like running walkovers but there is also a bounce. Our step 4 floor routine used to have a handspring step out but it was changed to a forward walkover instead because the powers-that-be felt that gymnasts were not doing proper handsprings, just running walkovers. Flysprings (or bounders) are handsprings from two feet. In the step 6 floor routine there is a choice of either handspring-flyspring or handspring-front tuck salto. Most gymnasts do the front tuck but I've seen some do the flyspring.

Just watched the Podkapayeva video with DD beside me and DD pointed out that "Lilya" was at Woodward. It seems so bizarre that she has met people like this young woman. Great routine and was pleased to see how the flyspring is actually quite useful. Thanks, Dunno!

I've never heard forward flip-flop but I dislike flip-flop or flic-flac. Easterners.

Bounder or flyspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back