Parents disaster at both privates

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Save your money! She needs to learn the love the sport all on her own. If she feels she is being forced, she will just fight back or worst learn to hate the sport. Let her learn at her own pace and have fun. If it clicks and she becomes a gymnast great, if not, no big deal! She will find her passion. It took my older DD 9 years to find hers and it wasn't gymnastics after spending 8 years doing it. I can tell you she is a much more happy child now, then she was before.

The best advice I ever got from a parent with older kids was "you child needs to do a sport/activity for themselves, not for you" Sometimes transitioning from making them go, to letting them decide to go on their own is really tough.

Everyone here has given good advice. I'll just say this: DD has been doing this for almost 5 years (between preteam and team) and if I have learned anything, it's that skills will come and go then return again. Getting a chance for a break is always good for them, especially the little ones. Your daughter will probably be very eager to get back after a rest and return to doing these skills in no time. Enjoy the break!

I agree with everything that Ihmom said. Having been a mom to a former gymnast and to a current one, I can attest to the fact that skills come and go and then come again. It can be frustrating, but if the child really, truly wants to participate in the sport, they will stick it out and work through it. As parents, we want to swoop in and make it all right, but they need to do this for themselves. Be patient, and if she has the drive, with time it will all fall into place. At age 4, almost 5, they are just way too little, in my opinion, to really know quite what they want yet. A private one on one with a coach might just be too much to handle. Hang in there and give her time.

My 4 year old daughter ended up with like 4 "privates" last year during the holidays/cold season bc she was the only one to show up. Instead of working skills, they spent most of the time doing things that are hard to do with a group but fun. She set up an obstacle course, they used the big trampoline, let Bean swing by on the high bar, basically let her call the shots and run around ... I don't think many 4 year olds would enjoy a real practice all by themselves.

I can definitely relate to where the OP is coming from. My DD was moved up in swimming lessons two weeks prior to the holiday break and was really struggling with the classes. She's a perfectionist and had finally gotten a tiny bit comfortable with the new level and then bam a two week break. If I could have gotten her in the pool these two weeks, I definitely would have done it in a very fun way so that she could build confidence and wouldn't be so nervous about going back.

In terms of privates, we have never done them so I can't comment on them other than my experiences when kids were late to their gym or swim classes. In these cases, I have noticed that the coaches naturally become more playful in a smaller group with younger kids to make them more comfortable and relaxed in a small group situation.

DDs are 6 now and I do want to comment to make sure you are having fun and enjoy the ride. If she wants to do gym over the break, let her! Try a camp and keep it fun. DD's just did a winter camp and had a blast. They can't stop talking about it and I'm sure we will do it again next year.

I guess I'm with everyone else. Just let her enjoy the sport. I wouldn't worry too much about privates, make-up days, and falling behind at 4 years old.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back