Discouraged...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flips123

Gymnast
Lately I have been getting really discouraged,and I need to find some ways to not be so dicuraged...So here's the story:
In January at the first competition of the season I strained the top of my left hamstring quite badly.(I couldnt do my good leg splits at all).I competed every meet but I felt that it really hendered my scores and how well I could do.I started PT in February and by May I was doing alot better.Not fully healed but to the point where I could do my splits again.June and July I improved heaps,and even my coach noticed.Bt at the end of July i noticed that my right side was really sore in the splits and it killed to come out of them.My coach just said I was probably sore because of the up-training so whenever we did oversplits she would push me down.About 2 weeks ago we were doing oversplits I felt a few pops when I was sliding down and it felt better.But the next day at practice I was in so much pain even though I was like 6-7 inches off the ground.(I had all my splits all the way down before this.)I cant even do a straddle strech on that side..And I cant do vault or floor right after spilts beacuse I limp so badly.I have a really bad feeling that I strained this side too even tohught its a differnt spot that hurts.I have a PT appointment in the next few days so we will see....I am discouraged because I seem to be the only one on my team that ever gets hurt.(I have earned the name team clutz for various reasons)Any suggestions on how to encourage myself would be greatly appreciated:)Thanks a bunch if you read this whole rant/story. :)

Lately I have been getting really discouraged,and I need to find some ways to not be so dicuraged...So here's the story:
In January at the first competition of the season I strained the top of my left hamstring quite badly.(I couldnt do my good leg splits at all).I competed every meet but I felt that it really hendered my scores and how well I could do.I started PT in February and by May I was doing alot better.Not fully healed but to the point where I could do my splits again.June and July I improved heaps,and even my coach noticed.Bt at the end of July i noticed that my right side was really sore in the splits and it killed to come out of them.My coach just said I was probably sore because of the up-training so whenever we did oversplits she would push me down.About 2 weeks ago we were doing oversplits I felt a few pops when I was sliding down and it felt better.But the next day at practice I was in so much pain even though I was like 6-7 inches off the ground.(I had all my splits all the way down before this.)I cant even do a straddle strech on that side..And I cant do vault or floor right after spilts beacuse I limp so badly.I have a really bad feeling that I strained this side too even tohught its a differnt spot that hurts.I have a PT appointment in the next few days so we will see....I am discouraged because I seem to be the only one on my team that ever gets hurt.(I have earned the name team clutz for various reasons)Any suggestions on how to encourage myself would be greatly appreciated:)Thanks a bunch if you read this whole rant/story. :)

Injuries are unfortunatly part of this sport and bouncing back from them can take some time. It actuallly sounds like your making good progress but not what you were hoping. I would have things rechecked by your DR as the "pop" noise isn't normal. With the type of injury you're talking about it could take over a year to get back to normal. Just know you're doing your best to recover and your coach can see the improvement. Don't try to rush the healing you could do more damage and things could get more delayed. If your doing your best that is all anyone including yourself could ask for.

Good to go and see the physio. My youngest hurt her hip/ab muscles from forcing her splits too much. She isn't the most flexible kid on the planet and she was forcing when she wasn't quite "square" and consequnetly has had to take a month off from doing splits. The pain has gone now and she was given stretches for her other muscles to help when she does start back to the splits.

Don't get too discouraged, lots of girls get injuries and still manage to move along in the gym. Just be patient.

Let us know what the physio says.

Ouch, I have way too much personal experiences with injuries like that. They will time and also, you might need to talk to your coach about stretching. I was in a similar situation and we just had to realise that most of the time, I just couldn't do the intense stretching. I just did a lot better if I did slightly softer (not really soft, but someone pushing me down was always counterproductive) for a longer time span. Also, when I was feeling like I had slightly pulled a muscle again, take a week of from stretching (obviously, stretching lightly to warm up is necessary, but stretching to improve flexibility will only cause harm in that situation). Just listen to your body, with recurring injuries you just have to be careful like this, otherwise it'll only get worse.

I'm sorry to hear you keep having problems :( Definitely ask your coach if you can do light splits until you are COMPLETELY sure that it's healed up! Popping isn't normal for stretching (although if it's the sound of a joint clicking it might be okay, but I'm not a doctor). I hope it heals up soon!

So sorry to hear about your injuries. I have had my share for many, many years as a runner and I understand how it can get you down. The best thing you can do is see a doctor to know what you might be dealing with and take the proper steps to heal. That might mean time off, which I know is not what you want to hear. But from experience I can tell you that dealing with it properly is best in the long run to get you back to training. Try to look at whatever you do for physical therapy as part of your workouts. Stay mentally focused on what you need to do to get healthy. Good luck and hang in there!

Hope the Dr or PT gave you good news. My gymmie is also not that flexable and needs to strech A LOT!!!. Hang in there and keep doing the exercises the PT has given you to help the injured area.

Sorry!I forgot to this thread:eek:.But I did strain the hamstring (PT said so)but my coasch keeps saying it's a flexiblilty issue..:(I had all my splits all the way down before this,so I have no idea how it is flexibility's fault.Right now I am seeing a chariorpractor (SP?) And I just had my second visit today and my hips were very off,my leg feels better but if it is not healed in the next month I will have to do PT and chariorpractic visits almost every other day:/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back