WAG Discussing vault table fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
DD has been struggling with fear of the vault table. She is small, and vault is her weakest event. She has gone over many times but she needs SUCH a mental wind up to do it. She has not been able to go over for two weeks and DCoach is telling her things like, 'you have to go over to get to the next level ' or ' go over right now' or 'real gymnasts, yadda yadda'.
None of this concerns me, except my DD is very, well let's say, she feels that that kind of talk does not encourage her at all. It makes her feel like it is a much BIGGER problem than it is. She is 9 and says she can't sort it out yet, but she wishes that her DCoach would just make it small, like.....just run and punch up to straight jump for a bit.....then kick up to HS......and then maybe a very spotted one......
What would be a good way to express this to DCoach? He does things his way, and I hate involving myself In......I think not saying anything is making it worse though....

its very natural for her to be scared, i still get terrified for vaulting even though ive been doing it for years, you just have to make sure to keep encouraging her and maybe suggest to the coach that she start small, and talk to her, not say that kinda stuff. because i agree with your daughter, that doesnt help at all. she will get there just help her and let her know your there. good luck!:)

Run and punch to straight jump is a drill for pre team, in my opinion. It teaches them to run and punch and stand up on the board but it also teaches kids to slow down, which will not get her over the table. She will get over it, just takes time. Speed, aggression and repetition.

I think if I start off with 'Bonehead Coach' it may not end well.....LOL!
I always have trouble talking to the coaches. I am afraid they will take it as telling them how to do their job.
I just need to remind him she is 9, and moving up is a VERY big deal to her....like a promotion or a raise.
I usually try to leave gym stuff in the gym, but when DD is stressing, biting her nails and getting stomach aches.... Don't coaches automatically KNOW how to handle this sort of thing??

I can sympathize. My DD is not a big fan of the vault either. Ask her to BHS on the beam and she doesn't bat an eye, but learning to vault has been a struggle. She is also tiny (just turned 8 a few weeks ago) and isn't anywhere near having the FHS consistently. So far, her coach has been patient with her and has told me privately that she isn't worried, that it will come when it comes. But DD IS worried about it because she knows she is supposed to score out of 4 and maybe 5 this summer, which will be a challenge if she can't vault semi decently.

Maybe you could mention to your coach that you have noticed that your DD is really worrying about vault and that in your experience she responds much better to words of encouragement rather than statements that make her even more nervous. I don't know I don't like to talk to the coaches either :confused:

I can sympathize. My DD is not a big fan of the vault either. Ask her to BHS on the beam and she doesn't bat an eye, but learning to vault has been a struggle. She is also tiny (just turned 8 a few weeks ago) and isn't anywhere near having the FHS consistently. So far, her coach has been patient with her and has told me privately that she isn't worried, that it will come when it comes. But DD IS worried about it because she knows she is supposed to score out of 4 and maybe 5 this summer, which will be a challenge if she can't vault semi decently.

Maybe you could mention to your coach that you have noticed that your DD is really worrying about vault and that in your experience she responds much better to words of encouragement rather than statements that make her even more nervous. I don't know I don't like to talk to the coaches either :confused:

my wife doesn't like to talk to me sometimes either...and she's a coach! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back