WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

For the parents, I'm curious what you would like to hear from a coach or gym owner? Do you want to know specific policies in place? Do you want a few bullet points from the Safe Sport information and how they are being implemented in the gym? What is most meaningful to you at this point?

Yes, I want to hear that they have policies in place, and I want to know specifically what those policies state. I want to know what they are doing to ensure that no child at their gym will be abused. I want to know who the primary point of contact is if I have concerns.

I would like to know that all of their staff have completed the Safe Sport training, and perhaps a brief summary of what that training entails for those who aren’t aware.

Nope. No mention of it. I took the Safe Sport course almost as soon as it came out in the late summer/early fall, was never prompted by HC. HC just sent an email out about 2 weeks ago (1 week before our first meet) to let coaches know that they needed to take the Safe Sport course. No discussion of the course at all (which isn't super informative in and of itself). The extent of our child safety at staff meetings is a reminder that child sexual abuse is serious and to "Never be alone with a child." That's about as good as it gets. So I'm not surprised that the owner hasn't said anything.
For the parents, I'm curious what you would like to hear from a coach or gym owner? Do you want to know specific policies in place? Do you want a few bullet points from the Safe Sport information and how they are being implemented in the gym? What is most meaningful to you at this point?

Honestly, I don't expect our gym to make a big announcement. I know our coaches have taken the course, and i know from years of history that even before this they were cautious about safe sport behaviors even though they likely didn't even know it was "safe sport". I suspect that they were just protecting the kids and that is how they looked at it. I know that our HC spoke with the older girls about the national situation. My child was there for it, and I am glad it was done. She came home feeling even more confident about her safety, knowing that she had someone to speak to if it was necessary. She also seemed glad that HC brought it up and it reassured her to know that HC was aware of everything going on and wanted the kids to know that HC had their back on these issues. We discuss safe sport behaviors in our home- with kids in all different activities and schools it is just a good idea to keep the conversation going. So, in short, a little goes a long way IMO. A brief talk with the kids. Reminding them to talk to their parents or coach or SOMEONE if anything comes up. Letting them know that the door is open for concerns. That sort of thing is all I need.

Honestly, I don't expect our gym to make a big announcement. I know our coaches have taken the course, and i know from years of history that even before this they were cautious about safe sport behaviors even though they likely didn't even know it was "safe sport". I suspect that they were just protecting the kids and that is how they looked at it. I know that our HC spoke with the older girls about the national situation. My child was there for it, and I am glad it was done. She came home feeling even more confident about her safety, knowing that she had someone to speak to if it was necessary. She also seemed glad that HC brought it up and it reassured her to know that HC was aware of everything going on and wanted the kids to know that HC had their back on these issues. We discuss safe sport behaviors in our home- with kids in all different activities and schools it is just a good idea to keep the conversation going. So, in short, a little goes a long way IMO. A brief talk with the kids. Reminding them to talk to their parents or coach or SOMEONE if anything comes up. Letting them know that the door is open for concerns. That sort of thing is all I need.

You're really fortunate in your gym. I have heard nothing from mine; I have no idea if they have completed Safe Sport training. I don't know if they are saying anything to the girls. It would make me feel less urgent about some kind of statement, but instead I feel like we are in a vacuum.

Nope. No mention of it. I took the Safe Sport course almost as soon as it came out in the late summer/early fall, was never prompted by HC. HC just sent an email out about 2 weeks ago (1 week before our first meet) to let coaches know that they needed to take the Safe Sport course. No discussion of the course at all (which isn't super informative in and of itself). The extent of our child safety at staff meetings is a reminder that child sexual abuse is serious and to "Never be alone with a child." That's about as good as it gets. So I'm not surprised that the owner hasn't said anything.

I think coaches should talk to the kids also. Educate them that what doesn't feel right is probably not right, and it is ok speak up or even just to question. Tell them they should tell their parents and who they can go to at the gym and assure them they will get 100% support (I am sure kids will worry what if they go to the wrong person like some of these girls did). Tell them what is inappropriate - like sometimes kids may think something was weird but brush it off. Tell them what the gym policies are so they can recognize situations. For example, if the policy states no male coach should ever be with a girl alone outside the gym then a male coach offers one girl a smoothie after practice for working extra hard or offer a ride home without going through the parents, she can recognize he is violating policy so don't go into that situation and report it. I think it is assuring for the kids to hear from the coaches.

Someone needs to look into the weird conditions at the camp and competitions. Why did they put out that memo in 2000 saying NOT to call your personal coach at night for a problem? And why was Nassar allowed in the cabins and hotel rooms alone with the kids? Whose idea was that?

Does that bother you? I think the gyms need to get in front of this - send emails to team parents and frankly rec parents too, recognizing the horrors that have just come to light, saying they are doing everything in their power to make sure it doesn't happen in their own gyms, and showcasing their Safe Sport training. And if they don't have that training, they'd better be on it immediately. Otherwise it feels like they believe this can't touch them or affect them.While we are not an Elite gym, they are trying to get there and they are pushing TOPs hard. A couple have even gone to the Ranch in the past few years. They're quick to tout that; now they need to address this.

It doesn't really bother me. We have much of the safe sport stuff going on already and I am secure in how they are addressing it within our gym. There have been general posts on our FB page, and it seems most parents are comfortable with the level of communication regarding the issue.

OMG I just saw a story on Todos Noticias about him trying to prey on Ayelén Tarabini. He met her at 07 Pan Ams, then found her on Facebook and started messaging her! Wtf. Then he invited her to come to the US for rehab on her Achilles and told her she could train with Aly Raisman! Smh. She posted a pic on IG with him back in 2013 and he commented “I hope we can meet again!” Did no one notice his creepy Instagram behavior?

http://www.thebubble.com/larry-nassar-ayelen-tarabini/

ESPN’s Outside the Lines has a great article on all of the sexual and domestic abuse problems going on at MSU. Apparently Larry Nassar is just the match in the gas tank because the problems extend far beyond him. Hope MSU Booster club members enjoy the fact that their future financial support will be used for lawsuits and NCAA fines instead of nice new buildings.

The abuse that occurred at Penn State was significant and should have resulted in better oversight across all athletic associations. The information surfacing from MSU goes to show that history is repeating itself as well as the abuse extending to the highest level of the sport - the Olympics. I have not been impressed with comments from Izzo or Dantonio so hopefully, if they did not handle the reported allegations in an appropriate fashion then I hope they, too, will be relieved of their positions.

Did anyone notice that Lou Anna Simon's resignation (vs. being fired) kicks into effect a clause in her contract that means she is guaranteed $750K salary next year, and $535K for the next two years after that?

Reactions: sce
image.jpeg
Saw this cartoon from the New York Post I think.

Did anyone notice that Lou Anna Simon's resignation (vs. being fired) kicks into effect a clause in her contract that means she is guaranteed $750K salary next year, and $535K for the next two years after that?
Nor to mention the lifetime free tech support for her and her husband from MSU's IT department, lifetime football tickets, options for basketball tickets and parking passes... All kinds of weird perks. From what I understand, this is unusual for most University president contracts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back