WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Any potential impact at the JO level? Particularly with regards to nationals this year? I'm going to presume there won't be a JO national camp this year for top finishers.. how about Nastia cup first week of march- Is that USAG related and sponsor dependent at all?
I am sure it will all work out once the dust settles. One thing is certain, contingency plans are in place around the nation.

I am right in that the USOC is pretty much the only organization that has any control over USAG? I'm glad they are finally stepping in on this.

Reactions: sce
I would like to see more discussion about the centralized system and whether it can be reworked in a way that still produces champions but in a healthy way. Shannon Miller, whom I believe was in the last group of gymnasts that went to the Olympics prior to the centralized system, (someone correct me if I'm wrong) mentioned in the article I linked above that she would like there to be conversation about this. Perhaps USAG is already discussing this, but I haven't seen anything beyond speculation and since they are actively looking for a new location for the camps, I'm guessing the plan is to continue in some form or another.
I think if centralized camps are to continue at a different location, they need to operate with much greater transparency than in the past. Keep the doors open for parents and USOC staff. Having someone unaffiliated with the elite program at all practices to observe. Very strict rules in place about medical treatments and interactions between athletes and staff. Educational sessions with the athletes on their rights, what is/is not okay, and a person to directly contact in the event of any concerns- not a general office or paperwork to complete. And it certainly should not be someone on any type of selection committee.
I think they would also be wise to appoint an athlete advocate- not an athlete rep (who is on the selection committee) and not an athlete advocate who plays no actual role other than being a big name former elite who appears at events from time to time- but an individual who is unaffiliated with selection committees, educated on current athlete issues, has the power (and strength of character) to report any concerns directly to authorities and not passing it around to staff members, and is unafraid to speak up and actually advocate for the athletes. This person should also travel with the team to international events and be available to athletes outside of camps so that athletes know there is someone on their side at all times. Perhaps it could be a team of several qualified individuals. I think former elites would have perks to serving in this role as they have walked this road, but I also think great caution needs to be taken to ensure an athlete who's utmost loyalty is to USAG above the well-being of the athletes is not selected. I think an athlete from another sport or a person with a background in child welfare could also be suitable.

I’m having all the feels about this. So happy and sad that itbyoo this.

Next Grandma Aly for USAG Board

https://www.newyorker.com/news/spor...pJobID=1322203751&spReportId=MTMyMjIwMzc1MQS2

Next I’d like to ask a question. How many of your gyms have put out statements? Ours has not and I’m enraged. Going to GM today about it.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/aly-raisman-and-the-shrewd-communal-overhaul-of-american-gymnastics?mbid=nl_Daily 012418 Control&CNDID=8408216&spMailingID=12808917&spUserID=MjM5OTQzNTM3NTQ1S0&spJobID=1322203751&spReportId=MTMyMjIwMzc1MQS2

Next I’d like to ask a question. How many of your gyms have put out statements? Ours has not and I’m enraged. Going to GM today about it.

Some of our coaches have posted about it on Facebook, but no official statement.

Same here

Does that bother you? I think the gyms need to get in front of this - send emails to team parents and frankly rec parents too, recognizing the horrors that have just come to light, saying they are doing everything in their power to make sure it doesn't happen in their own gyms, and showcasing their Safe Sport training. And if they don't have that training, they'd better be on it immediately. Otherwise it feels like they believe this can't touch them or affect them.While we are not an Elite gym, they are trying to get there and they are pushing TOPs hard. A couple have even gone to the Ranch in the past few years. They're quick to tout that; now they need to address this.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/aly-raisman-and-the-shrewd-communal-overhaul-of-american-gymnastics?mbid=nl_Daily 012418 Control&CNDID=8408216&spMailingID=12808917&spUserID=MjM5OTQzNTM3NTQ1S0&spJobID=1322203751&spReportId=MTMyMjIwMzc1MQS2

Our gym has not put out a statement, but I am not enraged. I do know that they are actively implementing Safe Sport and dd has told me that the coaches have had conversations with the girls about new policies. They are doing what they need to be doing. I don't think it's necessary for them to make a big statement. We know they think all of this is gross and they are doing what they can to protect our kids. I can pretty much guarantee that 95% of our rec families have no idea this is even going on. Shoot, even some of our team families don't know.

Edited to add: We are not an elite gym, nor will we be. That's not the goal. Therefore, I believe it's more appropriate for them to address concerns as they arise, but not necessarily publicly. However, I do think that gyms that have a national presence and actively work to get girls to that level do have more of a reason to make a statement.

Recently I emailed my DDs gym during a storm to ask if practice was canceled, and how we would know in general if practice was canceled for weather. Days later (they had practice) I got an email back saying when they close they “try” to post it on the website. The website that is about three years or so out of date. I am not expecting a statement about the scandal, to say the least. When my other DDs dance school has info to disseminate I get an email, a text, and FB message within five minutes of each other. Gyms could really learn about communication from other kid centered activities.

My DDs gym sent an email to team parents about all of this in August. They also had a few follow up messages with changes they made to comply the safe sport policy.

They haven’t sent anything recently and I don’t really expect them too. I prefer that they addressed early rather than waiting until now.

Reactions: sce
Next I’d like to ask a question. How many of your gyms have put out statements? Ours has not and I’m enraged
Our gym actually had a little segment on the local news Wednesday night. Most of our team is USAIGC, but we still have a fairly large compulsory team and eight optionals (L6-9). Their message was that what’s going on is awful, and we are trying to stay positive and keep our safety standards high. I noticed the owner of our old gym made a nice comment on the story on FB. I still can’t believe all this. My heart goes out to all those affected. Though clearly Puma Jr was never at the ranch, she used to compete against kids that were so I can’t stop thinking about them and hoping they were not involved in this horror.

Nope. No mention of it. I took the Safe Sport course almost as soon as it came out in the late summer/early fall, was never prompted by HC. HC just sent an email out about 2 weeks ago (1 week before our first meet) to let coaches know that they needed to take the Safe Sport course. No discussion of the course at all (which isn't super informative in and of itself). The extent of our child safety at staff meetings is a reminder that child sexual abuse is serious and to "Never be alone with a child." That's about as good as it gets. So I'm not surprised that the owner hasn't said anything.
For the parents, I'm curious what you would like to hear from a coach or gym owner? Do you want to know specific policies in place? Do you want a few bullet points from the Safe Sport information and how they are being implemented in the gym? What is most meaningful to you at this point?

Next I’d like to ask a question. How many of your gyms have put out statements? Ours has not and I’m enraged. Going to GM today about it.QUOTE said:
Our gym has not either. I am interested more in why some of the large gyms that produce elite athletes have been so silent. I would expect statements from them (and maybe that have by now)....from the Chow's, Buckeyes, CGA etc... I wouldn't expect anything from WOGA

For the parents, I'm curious what you would like to hear from a coach or gym owner?
Do you want to know specific policies in place?
Do you want a few bullet points from the Safe Sport information and how they are being implemented in the gym?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

All of the above - While I know that behind the scenes our coach has been incredibly supportive and aware of the situation, we have not seen any direct communication about policy. I know some of it is addressed in our team manuals, but I think it's exceptionally important to communicate this to families both team and rec, as a way to help further the changes at a cultural level and encourage openness and communication. Also I think it is helpful to "put it out there" on social media and as a statement on our website as a way to share that our gym is a leader in the community and a safe place. It sends a message to the other gyms in the area that they ought to take notice and think about some of their behaviors.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

All of the above - While I know that behind the scenes our coach has been incredibly supportive and aware of the situation, we have not seen any direct communication about policy. I know some of it is addressed in our team manuals, but I think it's exceptionally important to communicate this to families both team and rec, as a way to help further the changes at a cultural level and encourage openness and communication. Also I think it is helpful to "put it out there" on social media and as a statement on our website as a way to share that our gym is a leader in the community and a safe place. It sends a message to the other gyms in the area that they ought to take notice and think about some of their behaviors.

How many times can I like this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back