Anon Do clubs often try to recruit/poach talented gymnasts from opposing gyms?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (1071)

We live in a pretty competitive gymnastic hotbed in a large city. I'm curious if gyms ever try to recruit/ poach talented gymnasts from surrounding gyms? Or do they not really care much about that, and it's more delusional parents who think Gymnastic Clubs are the same as college recruiters?

I tend to see gyms in our area that are what I would call "feeder" gyms. They have excellent and dominant compulsory programs, but gymnasts tap out at level 8 or so and switch to other gyms that have a better track record of developing Level 8-10 gymnasts.

One gym in particular doesn't even really concentrate on developing a compulsory program in our area. They soley focus on their Rec/parties at the gym for money, and then take on level 8s-10s that leave surrounding gyms. A lot are injury recovery projects that they rehab successfully and get ready for college gymnastics and nationals when they tapped out at their prior gym.

But this gym in particular seems very unconcerned about developing a compulsory program and just assume the nearby "compulsory factories" will hand them a steady supply of level 8 or 9 gymnast to to train up through high school. it's a odd model, because it was my understanding that large compulsories programs help fund upper optionals. I'm surprised just a robust Recreational program can soley fund high level coaching that is required for level 8-10.

We live in an area with several strong DP programs. It's not uncommon for gymnasts to move from club to club. Sometimes it's because certain clubs aren't as strong with the upper levels. Other times it's because a gymnast is looking for something different (gymnastics is hard, and from what I can tell all of the top clubs have strengths and weaknesses.) With all of that said, I do not think it's a "thing" for clubs to try to poach gymnasts. Sure, they probably get excited if a top gymnast moves to their club. Yes, they want to do well and for the team to be the best. But no, I cannot imagine a club coach actively poaching another gymnast. I don't think they really have time for that, plus it's just not really their focus, at least from what I've seen. Finally, they all have to get along and I think it would be a major breach of etiquette. If a gymnast approaches them it's fair game but a coach approaching a gymnast trying to get her to switch clubs would be in pretty bad form, IMHO.

Rec is much more of a moneymaker than compulsory (since gymnasts are paying much more per hour), and the rec program generally subsidizes the expenses of the team program at all levels. So if that gym has a successful rec program, their financials make total sense. But it’s odd that they import *all* their optionals—that’s actually quite a clever model if there are a bunch of area gyms that aren’t strong in the upper levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back