do i have a future in this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So i love (x10) gymnastics and go to the gym as many times as i can (4-5 time a week 5 a day) i would do anything for it. I'm a good student and i will be a freshmen this year i also will be competing 6 in the fall and (hopefully) will do 7 in the spring. The only thing i need for 7 is tumbling (which needs a fear adjustment) and giant (piece of cake they are my favorite skill). My goal is to compete in college (maybe TWU :)), but when i went to one of their meets, it seemed impossible. Does anyone have anything to comment on this subject? Do you think i will be able to do it in college?

It really depends on what you mean by being able to do it in college. You may be able to be on the gymnastics team as a walk on for a smaller school. This means you probably won't get a scholarship for it, but you may still be able to do it. In college they use the gymnasts differently, most are no longer AA gymnasts but specialize in one or two events. So say you get really good at vault and can do an insane one and your bars are great but your beam and floor are not so good they may use you for vault and bars. Most of the big schools that give full scholarships take elites only. But there is still a good chance you can do gymnastics in college.

As far as the NCAA, the majority of the competitors are former Level 10s and elites, with a smattering of 9s in some programs so if you are Level 6 this fall with a possibility of 7 in the spring, a scholarship for gymnastics would seem unlikely but that is not to say that you could not DO gymnastics in college. If you went to a D3 school you might stand a better chance of competing (we went to a college meet that had a couple of D3 schools competing and the skill level was no higher than a Level 8...only fulls on the floor; handspring handspring on beam; no same bar releases at all and i think we saw one Tsuk for vault so ...) . If you are realistic in your expectations and do your research on what schools have on their teams , then you will be better off.

Go to the college team website and look at the rosters and see where the girls came from and in their bios, it will usually say what level they were. Also , Collegegymfans.com has updates on who gets signed and recruited so you can see what you are up against.

hmmmm.... thanks i was kind of wondering what level college gymnastics is and hopefully when i'm a senior in high i'll been level 9 or 10 so it might be ok to try and get on a low level school.

It depends, I know small schools like Wilson College in PA will take some people as low as level 8 and they do get to compete but you won't get a schlorship to do it. What I was trying to say is the top colleges that tend to give out schlorships are looking for elites and sometimes level 10's and most of the level 10's "walk on" the team meaning no schlorship and may ear one if their performace proves valuable to the team. There is no reason you shouldn't work towards your goal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back