Parents Do kids really train with team for summer and then not make it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our whole "just competed L4" group will be training the optionals hours this summer, 4 hours 5Xweek. When we hit fall, the ones who have gotten L6 skills will continue the Optionals hours (17 hours during school), the ones who have not, will still stay optional, but as Xcel Gold, and will drop back to the L4 hours. (not train L4, but drop back to those hours).

One thing I have learned in gymnastics is that 3 months is a long time and often how things look right now will be completely different by then.

As a parent, the best thing we can do is to help our kids set goals for this year, this month and this week and then support them as they work towards them. The tears of missing out on making a team tend to balance out with nailing that beam skill in a competition or winning a medal at states.

Worrying too much just leads to ulcers...

I know when we got the letter about this time last year inviting DD to train with the team for the summer, it did say that it was a trial. We had no clue what to expect come September. There were 3 girls put up (we have a tiny gym) and the way it worked out, mine stayed, the second left the gym (for cheer I think) and the third did go back down, but I got the impression it was more of a not being able to commit to the hours thing. I'm not sure. I would expect she and a couple others to be put up again this summer. We'll see! Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back