Do they ever outgrow it?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

broken pot.jpgThis is the result of handstands in my kitchen--broke the handle clear off the pot when I kicked it coming down. I'm 27. So for some of us, I'd say it never truly ends!

Give me an open space (or not!) and I'll be doing gymnastics! Leaping down hallways, doing poses in any reflection, doing my beam routine on a straight line on a floor, walking on my hands to grab the remote off the floor, laying upside down half off the couch watching tv, doing turns in my slippery socks, etc. And I'll be 16 soon... :) So nope! Some don't outgrow it!

Oohh! My other favorite is to do a scale when picking things up off the floor. It stretches that leg out at the same time! I have had to tone this one down a whole lot though because I had a tendency to kick things when I did it- chairs, customers at the restaurant I worked at...

Personally for me, it's died down a lot, but not entirely - When I was younger I'd walk on my hands around the house and I even learned to open doors with my feet and go up and down steps! Every piece of furniture was gymnastics apparatus in my mind - my parents double bed was my vault - taught myself to flatback, half on and even handspring over it! The floor tiles in the kitchen were my beam (it wasn't the done thing to have home equipment when I was little) I'd do presses on the arm of the chair and so on.

Now I'm 27 and still do some of it - handstands in the dining room, tick-tocks on the stairs still use the tiles as my beam when I'm choreographing beam routines for my gymnasts! I

So in short, no I don't think it ever ends, just becomes less frequent!

I (15-going-on-sixteen) love to do split leaps and handstands everywhere. Not backbendy stuff because - ouch! - can't exactly just pull a bridge position nowadays without warming up. Unfortunately, there is lots of furniture in my house and lots of teachers in my school, so I'd do more if I could. I suspect I've grown out of it a bit because now that I'm working out every other day for 4 or 5 hours, I'm finally getting enough gym. I mean, if my wrists and legs hurt a bit in the gym, why am I going to stress them at home? I do love to stretch though - and straddle sit is a lot more comfortable than hunching over.

My friends hate my random handstands.

I'm a senior in college and handstands are also my choice of stress relief during long nights. Also, I have danced since I was two and still can't get through a day without practicing pirouettes, balancing in coupe or passe, or doing an arabesque. When I was younger I'd always do turns in my kitchen and multiple times knocked the phone down or hit my leg against a counter... I'm a slow learner :p

Glad I'm not the only one who has caused destruction in the house by flipping around! When I was younger I broke one my mom's antique tables by whacking it with my foot doing a cartwheel. Another time I was practicing my level 5 beam routine in the big bathroom mirror right before my first intrasquad meet and kicked the edge of the claw foot tub while doing the cartwheel. The tub was just fine, but I had quite the bloody gash on my heel. Turned out that last minute practice was in vain as I ended up doing miserably at the intrasquad.

I once went through a glass coffee table practicing gymnastics in my mom's livingroom. I still have the scar on my pinky from a minuscule cut I got! Now that I look back on it, I feel bad. The table was 5 by 5 solid glass and it was beautiful!

Heehee. I used to get in SO much trouble for vaulting over my mom's ottoman (and the couch...and for doing aerials in the basement...).

Those antique dining tables? Extremely sturdy. Ow. Those antique chairs that go with it? Neither sturdy nor easy to put back together.

I totally agree I don't think it ever goes away. I will admit sitting in a straddle is not always my first choice as often anymore, but at a band camp I teach at over the summer my students asked me to walk on my hands so they could video it. they thought it was the coolest thing ever, which is funny cause it's so second nature.

I am 16 and i still havent! I do handstands when i am bored,flips at the beach,etc ....for me gym is everywhere! but i guess it all depends on the person :)

I'd say no, I am 16 and still handstand cartwheel practice beam routines on one of the floor boards (they are conveniently only a tiny bit smaller than a beam) Making up beam routines tumbling in my backyard, I tumbled for hours on xmas day with my cousins (who are unusually good at chucking things - one chucked a round off back tuck and well stuck it oh and did a back tuck on a slight hill and landed on his feet) and my friend who went to worlds for trampolining a few years ago hoping to go again next year :p I don't do anything at school because we have to wear a dress :p but one day in class we were playing truth or dare before the teacher came and my dare was to get up on the table (they are in a long line) and do a back walkover and sit back down like nothing happened (I had my sports uniform in my bag but my teacher came before i had time to get changed) i would have done it tho :p

And handstands and cartwheels are my choice of stress relief as well :)

Last edited:
I really am enjoying hearing everyones responses to this. Some are soo silly to hear about. So far no broken furniture or glass (windows or otherwise). Altough I have been kicked a time or two when I happen to be walking behind her and she does a handstand or some other legs up skill out of the blue. And her poor little brother always seems to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when it concerns her and her gymnastics. Seems silly but Im tickeled to death that this silly thread got such a big response

Altough I have been kicked a time or two when I happen to be walking behind her and she does a handstand or some other legs up skill out of the blue. And her poor little brother always seems to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when it concerns her and her gymnastics.

Be careful with that, a kid at my gym had some teeth kicked out by a spontaneous cartwheeler.

doing it, yes, at about 40. dreaming it and the performing of routines while you sleep? NEVER![/

I havent stopped yet. I especially get the urge to kick to hs when listening to someone boring talk. Might as well multitask.

Definitely still dream about practicing and competing. Sometimes hate to wake up and remember that I'm old.

Hahaha!! I'm in my 30s and I still haven't outgrown it! I walk on my hands, do handstands, have actually picked up doing a tumbling class & open gyms again all the time. I am a coach also. I think it will be in my blood until I physically can't do any of it anymore!

I really am enjoying hearing everyones responses to this. Some are soo silly to hear about. So far no broken furniture or glass (windows or otherwise). Altough I have been kicked a time or two when I happen to be walking behind her and she does a handstand or some other legs up skill out of the blue. And her poor little brother always seems to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when it concerns her and her gymnastics. Seems silly but Im tickeled to death that this silly thread got such a big response
I've been on the receiving end of those random handstands and cartwheels, too. She is getting much better now at looking behind her before she does one! She kicked a book clean out of my hands one day, and it flew across the room and hit the wall.
Speaking of random upside-downness, has anyone else noticed that the little kids in class-while waiting their turn to do whatever- will just go to hs or cartwheel, almost kicking each other in the face and yet none of them even flinch (or quit doing it)????

crazy :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back