Do you know your dd level yet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnut1

I know that meet season is right around the corner for lots of people. I remember lots of people saying they would know over the summer what levels their dd would compete. Did they all get the skills they needed for the level they wanted? Good luck to those still waiting to find out. When will you know?

my DD will be competing L5. Her first meet is Saturday. Has all her skills,a couple need a little clean up. occasionally misses her high bar kip, hope she hits it Saturday. Needs to work on connecting her kip, cast fhc.

good luck to everyone this season.

No idea, still lots of work to do. But, that decision won't be made until around November anyway. Guess we'll see then!

Almost positive it will be platinum (prep-op between L6-L7). she has her skills but needs work on connecting a few. She would also like to up her skill set (BHS instead of BWO on beam, layout instead of tuck on floor) before the season starts but she has the minimum she needs to compete. But she hasn't really been working on her prep-op routines because to compete platinum, she has to first test out of level 5, so she has been working on those routines. And this week she has been working level 6 as well. Since the routines are so similar, she wants to test out of both this fall before competing prep-op in January. That way she can train for 7 in the summer and not have to worry about level 6 next fall.

DD will be training Level 5 USAG from September to December for sure - she's not going to be competing during that time. Sometime in November or early December, when our coach has to make final decisions on the registration form for the first meet in February, it will be decided whether she is likely to be ready to compete Level 5. It will all hinge on how consistent she gets with her kip, whether she nails the cartwheel on beam and whether she manages the vault on the springboard vs the mini tramp. I think she can do it, especially if she doesn't have to worry about perfecting routines at all in term 1 (she'll have almost 7 weeks to get the routines mastered in term 2 before her first meet). She still has major tightness issues, but she can compete without being tight enough - she'll just see much lower scores, and she knows that.

I am pretty sure dd will be competing L8 again to start the year and probably finish at L9. Coach does not want to move them to L9 and have them struggle at L9 early. I find the whole think a bit confusing, but she will do what the coach says. She had a good year at L8 last year, not great 35.0 was her high AA. She likes the idea of starting at L8 because she thinks she will do well. What I find confusing is she said her L8 routines will have much more difficulty this year. Bars: shoot over, Beam: switch leap, one arm back handspring Floor: front full, back full and half vault: still working the yuerchenko. (did a tsuk rather unsuccessfully last season) Coach said she is really close to L9, so we will see.
B

Alex will start the season competing Prep Op (between L6 and L7) and hopefully she will move to L7 in January. It all hinges on her getting her giants! Either way she is happy because she will now have her own routines.

Well she has been training L8 all summer but I think it will be L7 again unless she gets all the skills for L8 in place. She is almost there. No offical word and probably won't be for at least another month.

DD will be competing Level B (Lv 5) again this year. She still doesn't quite have that darned ROBHS so that is pretty much holding her back. Since the league she does is kind of like a Prep-Opt, she gets to choose different skills on different events. On beam she is working on her front walk-over, doing a different handstand, and will do a different balance hold. She is also working on a front aerial dismount. On floor she has new music (a modern balletic piece) and will be doing a lot of ballet in it. This will be her last year of gymnastics (the dance is starting to take up too much time especially when she wants to add jazz and modern styles) so she is excited to leave the sport with a great season, hopefully :).

Emma is competing level 6 and the first meet is about 1 month away. I think she has all her skills - although a couple of them need work still. She could probably pull them off messy in competition. There will certainly be room for improvement over the course of the year.

My niece will almost for sure be competing L 5. She's uptraining for L 6 some on bars and a little bit on floor, but is still struggling on vault (a fear issue) and working hard on beam, especially the dismount. Polishing everything up is something she's working really hard on too! She's never actually competed, just done tons and tons of rec classes. I think that'll be the biggest thing for her... other than vault lol.

I have "official" news for both my team gymmies, too. My dd trained L5 all summer and will have her first comp in less than two weeks. She has also just begun training with the L6 group (extra day of practice) She will compete L6 in Jan. My ds has been training all summer with the L5's because he is the only L4 at the gym, lol. He had to decide between playing in the pony baseball league in the fall or moving "officially" to L5, and he decided to do L5, so he will be competing it in Jan. He will still get to do Little League as they start here in late March which is when he will be done competing gymnastics. So I have two very pleased, very happy gymmies. Now excuse me, I have to go work more hours at the gym to pay for both of their hour/tuition increases, lol. :rolleyes:

My dd will be competing L5 this fall - her first season of competing. Her floor is looking better and better and her bars and vault are moving right along. Her nemesis is the cartwheel on beam. She cannot land it to save her life and I know it is getting very frustrating for her - the rest of the beam routine is very nice. I'm trying very hard to ignore that bump as I do not want to add any stress on her around that. Her coaches are great and if she misses it every single meet this season - well, there is always next season to nail it. One more month until her first competition, and right now she tells me that her greatest concern is that I learn how to do her hair correctly for meets - LOL.

We're still not sure. Pickle has been training L6 all summer and has all the skills but she's never actually landed the back tuck on floor without falling and she's never done the flyaway without a spot (although her coach says she could - she just hasn't had her do it yet).

First meet is beginning of October.

Her gym will let her do the flyaway with a spot for the first two meets. But if she doesn't get the timing on her back tuck down, she won't be able to compete L6.

I think we've reached consensus that she will compete L10. She is very ready on bars [psyched to get to have more than on D skill in her routine] and vault [she is doing a Tsuk layout full and a Yurchenko tuck full---yes, both and she's dealing] and she has a beam routine that she likes [with a mount I like yay for presses and pirouettes] but floor is another story entirely[she has the tumbling, but the artistry is a major struggle for her so she's missing more than half of the routine and I'm wondering if maybe it would be better to just let her scratch floor]. So she will do L10 but maybe only three events.

Good Luck to everyone who has meets coming up this month! I'm sending thoughts of proprioceptive prowess, valiant vaulting, and stellar stalders.

Level 6 at her brand new gym! I am adjusting to not being able to watch practices (O.K. I'm adjusting poorly, but adjusting). Due to some sort of shipping mix-up, the "regular" bars have not arrived yet so the only ones they have are over the pit. DD has never had a pit before and has not been able to jump to high bar over the pit and is struggling with her squat-on again (I thought she had that thing licked!). Even though I think she "knows" that she's safer falling into the pit than she would be onto a mat, I think having a big hole under her is freaking her out. 1st meet is about 5 weeks away, and when I bring up the possibility of her maybe having to scratch on bars at first, she is adamant that that is NOT going to happen and that she WILL get it. She seems very confident and laid-back about the fact that she'll get it in time... I'll chalk that up to a coach who is making her feel like it's not a big deal that she's a little freaked out by the pit right now. So if she's not worried, I guess I will work hard on not being worried either. She has only had 3 practices at the new gym, so I suppose that with only 3 practices in a new gym with longer hours and new coaches and new equipment, she's still going to be in the middle of a very steep learning curve. I just wish the new gym had opened in June instead of September. I know... chill out, Mom!:rolleyes:

Older dd will not find out for sure what level for a couple months yet, but the hope is Level 8 still.

Little dd will compete Level 4 as hoped but may not be ready by the first meet around Halloween. She is still missing her ro bhs in the regular floor, her stride circle, and her beam dismount and she still has to actually learn all of the routines (just a minor technicality).

Little DD is repeating L4. She is ready this time though! Bars skills are 95% and mostly connected. Woo hoo! I think bars will be her best event. So funny because she struggled so much with them last year. Vault still needs work and beam is a challenge due to her muscle tone issues but all in all I think she is going to do well this year.

Older DD is doing prep (xcel) Gold (between 5 and 6). She has picked up most of the L6 skills except the back tuck, which she needs for her Gold floor routine anyway. She can do the front tuck but sort of prefers not to. ;) The hope is that she can get the 6 skills and some 7 by the end of the season and maybe? do one meet to score out of L6. We will see. She is also doing 6 hrs of competitive dance this year and will be traveling for competitions for that so she will also be balancing that and trying to figure out if she loves gym or dance more. I think it would be hard to be a L7 and above while trying to juggle the dance. So, this will be a big year for her.

Tiny DD is officially on pre-team as of next week. No competing for her this year. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back