Parents Do your kids Stretch and condition when they do not have practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
We have started making oldest dd do some extra stuff at home (stuff her coach gave her to do when she was working on her bhs)
I think it has helped but more important has lessened her injuries since she is def stronger
(she is the kid who gets hurt easy )

mine does, but it can be hit and miss. although generally she is pretty good about it. She has a sheet from the coach, but also does extra stretching and sometimes extra numbers etc than what is on the sheet.
she has phases when she does it all the time, but then can have lapses and phases when she doesnt!
if she is working on a new skill she will do it more, and if she is getting soreness etc she will stretch more.

I did, even if it was just sitting in splits/over splits watching tv. Mainly I did it to keep my back loose, back flexibility was my arch nemisis, as being an acro top keeping my back loose was my priority. I also did v-sits, back-lifts, straddle presses and pike presses everyday.

Both of my girls condition and stretch at home completely on their own...they even set up their own strength/stretch circuits. Mostly handstand holds, straddle presses, splits and bridges, v-ups and core stuff. They think it's fun!;)

Since the gym change my daughter doesn't do much that is gymnastics related at home. She goes to school all day and 4 days a week goes to either gym or dance immediately after school. She ends up getting home so late that we really like her to just put the jammies on and go to sleep so she's not exhausted at school the next day. She has only one day a week with no gym/dance and I am usually running around after her telling her to relax. Sometimes it requires taking her out and distracting her all day, but she's a great shopping partner. :)

Only when Im on vacation really do i stretch or condition outside of gym. we do 45 minutes of conditioning and 15 minutes or streching each night at gym. My coach always tells us when we go home to relax and enjoy our time off. We do plenty of conditioning inside the gym,because my coach is such a strong believer in it.(which is a good thing because it keeps us healthy from injury) But there are always some of those times in P.E or something where you have to show the boys how many push ups or pull ups you can do because they think they are so strong after they do like 5. :p

My DD HATES conditioning. She is very strong and doesn't need it for brute strength, but she does need it for tightness and core strength. She also needs to work on the pointed toe straight leg thing, and I've been meaning for her and I to work out together, but time hasn't really permitted it lately.

If she does anything its totally on her own and at no direction from us. I may find her stretching or doing handstands, but thats about it. After 20 hours/week in the gym, she needs some real down time.

Same with us. DD is in the gym 20 hours a week. She gets enough strength and flex there, so anything she does at home she does on her own. For the most part, she does not condition, though she might stretch occasionally.

If she were there that many hours I would skip it! she is only 9 hours a week! , and stretching consists of 15 min nothing too much mostly the wrist rolls and such!
I have noticed a HUGE difference in how much more strength she has since she started doing this tho.

My DD is 8 and doing 7.5 hours a week at the gym. Our girls are not supposed to train at home at all, but I make my DD do a little bit, mainly flexibility work on her shoulders and hamstrings as these are very tight. I only make her do a few minutes two or three times a week, usually on the days she hasn't been to gym. I do it to help her to keep up, as the other girls have a lot more natural flexibility. I think her shoulder flexibility is starting to improve.

my dd stretches all the time. Sometimes I have to remind her that she has normal clothes on and it isn't very lady like to have your legs like that. I am all for her to do it in front of tv but when we go out she does it, that is another thing. I think it is habbit.

Yesterday DD and I worked on her cartwheel to handstand for 15 minutes - I drew a beam in chalk on the ground and we used that. She is really having a hard time with her L4 beam dismount, and it's largely due to her never having gotten a good cartwheel to handstand. We worked on making the lunge before the cartwheel nice and big and slow and controlled so that she can place her hands exactly where she wants them. Previously she was just flinging herself into the cartwheel and hoping to end up in a good handstand. Because she's so bad at this skill, she almost fell onto the beam, and luckily the coach caught her. Now she is afraid to do it without the coach right there. On Wednesday they had her on the low beam with a block on the side they didn't want her to go, but time ran out far too quickly and she hadn't quite gotten it well enough. She has to compete this in 8 days, which is why I am also working with her at home - otherwise I wouldn't take that on myself.

I can't seem to keep my DD from doing extra at home. She is only in the gym 9 hours a week at this point and would live there if I let her :) She insisted that we put a chin up bar in her door. She can't walk anywhere without practicing her dance moves. She does handstands and snap downs against her wall, back walkovers down the hallway. I even catch her doing conditioning while watching TV. This is all on her own, if anything I'm always "be careful, be careful". The one thing I do encourage her to do is sit in her splits, which of course is the one thing she hates to do. Her coach just assigned this as "homework" though and now she is quite diligent about that too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back