Does my DD NEED Summer Camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks MdGymMom01. We live in VA, so UMD is not too far. This might be a fun thing to consider. I know dd would love it. I did not see anything on their site yet. Can you tell me (if you know) Does it fill up fast or can we take our time to register?

Thanks MdGymMom01. We live in VA, so UMD is not too far. This might be a fun thing to consider. I know dd would love it. I did not see anything on their site yet. Can you tell me (if you know) Does it fill up fast or can we take our time to register?

I think I recall that last year's camp was in August and they didn't post anything on their site till May or June if I am remembering correctly. I would check that site periodically or call them to see if they have any info as of yet. If I come across any info, I will PM you.

If you are nervous about your daughter going to an "away" camp, you could always investigate the option of going with her as a worker at the camp...that way, you'd be there and she's be there but she'd be in her own cabin with her own camp experience.

If your daughter is worried that having you on site would cramp her style, don't worry about it at all. My daughter has done IGC and Woodward and i have worked at the camp and barely seen her...she was having too much fun...but I can tell you that she was reassured to have me there.

And as always, do remember that camp is definitely not a need ( no matter what anyone says) but we have always had fun when we went.

I think I recall that last year's camp was in August and they didn't post anything on their site till May or June if I am remembering correctly. I would check that site periodically or call them to see if they have any info as of yet. If I come across any info, I will PM you.

DD went to a one-day winter camp at UMD. They are considering a full week camp, but don't have confirmation yet as they have to work around different schedules and repairs that are scheduled to building. I'll let you know if I hear of anything too!

Thanks Flippersmom! I am such a newbie. Please forgive me. Can you tell me a little about the 1 day winter camp?

How do they deal with the different levels, ages and abilities?

What is the coach to gymnast ratio?

Did you find that this camp was a good experiece? Would you send your dd again?

They seperated the girls by level. They had Levels 3-10 attend, plus Mason Dixon girls of different levels. UMD coaches were there, along with the team. There were probably about 8-15 girls in a group (smaller groups for lowest and highest level). They had the team coaching different events, and the girls rotated around to the different events. The cost was $65 and included a camp t-shirt. We usually go to at least one of the UMD meets a year, so DD was excited to get to work with the girls. Most other girls were with friends/teammates, but DD was only one from her gym. Next year, she definately wants someone from her gym to go. She really enjoyed it. It's only a day, so they don't come out with new skills, but get a different "coach" perspective on things. It actually helped her vault, as the head coach for UMD made some comments that she seems to be keeping in mind. The UMD team did demos too, which she really liked. She has said if they do overnight, she really wants to go. She is already signed up for IGC again, but we'll see. If helps that she also really really really wants to go to undergrad there (but not for gymnastics - college gymnastics is not her goal).

My daughter went to one of the "big name" summer camps. She had a great time. BUT when she was not in the gym, there was very little supervision. I am not sure I would send her again unless either myself or one of our other parents went as a chaperone so I would know she was taken better care of. She did learn some new things, but she probably would have learned it in her regular practices anyhow. So I think it could be a good experience if the proper supervision was there.

My daughter went to one of the "big name" summer camps. She had a great time. BUT when she was not in the gym, there was very little supervision. I am not sure I would send her again unless either myself or one of our other parents went as a chaperone so I would know she was taken better care of. She did learn some new things, but she probably would have learned it in her regular practices anyhow. So I think it could be a good experience if the proper supervision was there.

Betcha it was Woodward!!!:D

DD went to a one-day winter camp at UMD. They are considering a full week camp, but don't have confirmation yet as they have to work around different schedules and repairs that are scheduled to building. I'll let you know if I hear of anything too!

Wow - I had no idea they were having these camps. Would love to hear too if you happen to hear anything, post it up here, there are a lot of members in VA and MD. I knew many girls who went to WVU's camp and loved it too. These camps are smaller than the IGC and Woodward camps, but for some girls that is better.

Wow - I had no idea they were having these camps. Would love to hear too if you happen to hear anything, post it up here, there are a lot of members in VA and MD. I knew many girls who went to WVU's camp and loved it too. These camps are smaller than the IGC and Woodward camps, but for some girls that is better.

If you watch the Terps TV, Episode 7 it about their winter work-out camp (after about the first 15-20 seconds). You can see they have all levels, and its not crazy crowded. (DD is actually on video at 2:23-2:24 during leap on closest beam!) I'll let you know if I hear about summer.

Maryland Athletics - University of Maryland Official Athletic Site

And yeah, Bog, I bet it was Woodward. I've heard that about them, but I know that at IGC, they are pretty much supervised the whole time and can't even be in cabin without counselors.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back