WAG does she need tiger paws?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We just got our first pair of "Golden Hands" (same as Tiger Paws) at the end of October. MY OG had been having wrist problems and the neoprene wrist braces I had previously purchased, while they did help some, did not do enough to allow her to continue hard tumbling. Since getting her Golden Hands, she hasn't had to skip tumbling or vault due to wrist pain... she has also scored a 9.0 on both Floor and Vault since then :)

I think they are a good idea for harder vaults and higher level tumbling!

Here's the thing: there isn't a point where a gymnast crosses a threshold and is suddenly doing skills that put undue strain on the body. Right from the start, we pound our bodies in ways they weren't designed to be pounded, hold our weight in ways we aren't designed to, and endure workouts our bodies weren't designed to endure.

I see no problem with braces, taping, and anything else that can potentially prevent overuse injury, EVEN IF THERE IS NO PAIN YET. As every physical therapist knows, prevention is easier than rehabilitation.

The sport is evolving. The equipment is evolving. Our bodies can't keep up on their own; if we have the tools to allow our bodies to handle the forces without getting injured, why not use them?
This is interesting....my daughter is level 9 and is doing a yurchenko this season (did a tsuk last at level 8 last year) She does not wear tiger paws. She does wear generic soft wrist supports recommended by the orthopedist (pediatric sports dr). She was having very minor pain a few years ago and after xraying to be sure there were no issues, he suggested the soft support. I asked about tiger paws and he felt that gymnast become reliant on them?? That may not have been his exact wording.

She's been fine but after reading what the coaches here have to say, maybe I should check in with him again? Or her coaches....they don't require them though some girls have them.

So true that our bodies werent' designed to support on our wrists so it makes sense to get them!

Yes they are needed for yurchenko a, watch the national team on vault you will see they wear wrist braces. Our sport has evolved a lot in this way and I laugh at the "it makes joints weaker" excuses - really? The tumbl trak slogan "more reps, less stress" pretty much sums up the best practices of gymnastics training nowadays. And yes, many top teams and coaches are requiring the use of wrist supports for yurchenkos due to the incredible amount of force and degree of wrist flexion when performed correctly.

Here's the thing: there isn't a point where a gymnast crosses a threshold and is suddenly doing skills that put undue strain on the body. Right from the start, we pound our bodies in ways they weren't designed to be pounded, hold our weight in ways we aren't designed to, and endure workouts our bodies weren't designed to endure.

I see no problem with braces, taping, and anything else that can potentially prevent overuse injury, EVEN IF THERE IS NO PAIN YET. As every physical therapist knows, prevention is easier than rehabilitation.

The sport is evolving. The equipment is evolving. Our bodies can't keep up on their own; if we have the tools to allow our bodies to handle the forces without getting injured, why not use them?

well stated. it's preventative.

Yes they are needed for yurchenko a, watch the national team on vault you will see they wear wrist braces. Our sport has evolved a lot in this way and I laugh at the "it makes joints weaker" excuses - really? The tumbl trak slogan "more reps, less stress" pretty much sums up the best practices of gymnastics training nowadays. And yes, many top teams and coaches are requiring the use of wrist supports for yurchenkos due to the incredible amount of force and degree of wrist flexion when performed correctly.

well stated again.

So what happens when the tiger paws hurt the gymnast? My dd started wearing them and within a week started having a lot of pain in her arms. After awhile we went to the doctor and he told her to quit wearing them. She did and her arms got better. She has never had any wrist problems. She wears them off and on and they always cause a lot of pain in her arms where the top of the tiger paw hits her arm. Ideas?

take the plastic insert out. they are still effective without them.

So what happens when the tiger paws hurt the gymnast? My dd started wearing them and within a week started having a lot of pain in her arms. After awhile we went to the doctor and he told her to quit wearing them. She did and her arms got better. She has never had any wrist problems. She wears them off and on and they always cause a lot of pain in her arms where the top of the tiger paw hits her arm. Ideas?

What level is she and how old? Also, I am bit confused. Is it in a small area like a bruise (you said where the tiger paw touches her arm) or a larger area? It is possible to have a forearm injury I suppose if she has a muscular imbalance and then starts using her wrists differently essentially but this is not very common in my experience.

Tiger paws are to support the wrists when a lot of pressure is being put on them, which may cause pain. In yurhenkos gymnasts come from a full speed run into a roundoff which puts a lot of pressure on the wrists. A couple of my teammates use wrisr guards only on vault for yurhenkos due to pain caused by this force transition. I use them on every event except bars (obviously) and have had them for 5 years (since I was 12). One drawback of wrist guards/wristies (another name for them) is that they weaken wrists unless extra strength is done to keep the wrists strong and along with the loss in strength there is a loss in wrist flexibility. I know some wrist strengthening exercises if you're interested.

She doesn't wear them for beam, but as she started increasing her bhs numbers on beam a couple years ago, her wrists began hurting again. We found a thinner support that still allowed her to feel the beam (which is hard to do with tiger paws on small hands) and she had no more wrist problems.

Gymgal, do you remember what these were? DD has been complaining of wrist pain from doing many reps of BHS on beam. Her coach told her she may need tigerpaws, but they do seem a bit unwieldy for beam. Thanks!

Hmm, I will have to see if we can get the plastic insert out. She is a 13 year old L8. You could never visible see a bruise, it was more of a muscle thing according to the doctor. But they cause all sorts of problems - or maybe it was a coincidence that it happened at the same time. But when she quit wearing them her arms got better.

Dd has had tiger paws since she broke her wrist in her rookie year several years ago. Initially, she used it only on the affected hand but eventually she did both because she was beginning to over compensate. I know there are varying coaches' opinions on the use of wrist guards and I had a tough time deciding whether to get them for dd but in the end, I feel, at least for her, the guards have saved her a lot of worry, pain, and stress on the hands and wrists. She doesn't wear them for beam, but as she started increasing her bhs numbers on beam a couple years ago, her wrists began hurting again. We found a thinner support that still allowed her to feel the beam (which is hard to do with tiger paws on small hands) and she had no more wrist problems.

Could you tell me what wrist support your DD uses for beam. My DD won't wear her tiger paws on beam but complains about her wrists after beam often! Thanks

I've tried Tiger Paws on beam and they slipped badly. Those other braces look like they would be better.

Initially I thought my tiger paws slipped on beam, but eventually I got used to it. They do slip in back walkovers, but once you stop doing those and do handsprings tigerpaws are great.
I actually have a teammate that uses her tiger paws on only vault and beam. It just takes some getting used to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back