Double BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
My dd is an 8yo level 4 tops girl & although they are not allowed to compete with the leveled girls, our gym is having their first in-house competition the first weekend in Feb. The floor routine has a robhs as one of the tumbling passes and two of the girls are doing double bhs, but my dd & one other girl are only doing singles.

The competition isn't for a couple of weeks & she would really llike to put a double one in there, but is afraid to go for the 2nd one. Should she just go for it & try it or should she just stick to the single since its so close to compeition?

What is everyone's opinion - she thinks that if she only has a single one, she won't have a chance to score as well as the two girls who do.

any thoughts???

leave well alone. the coach will make any/that decision.

I'm not the one telling her to do it - Her coach said she could if she wanted to - she's concerned that she won't score as well with only one, but is afraid to try two.

Well you are not in control of her fear, she is. She'll do it when she is ready to try. At this stage in the game encourage her to think of other things than scores. Plus one pretty BHS is worth way more then two really ugly ones!

Is your dd being taught the L4 routines or are they letting these girls make up their own? At L4, the routine includes a ro-bhs; at L5 they add the ro-bhs-bhs. I agree with others that do what she can do well right now. Since this is a in house meet, its more for fun and getting some experience doing routines. As she gets more comfortable with the ro-bhs, the ro-bhs-bhs will come.

She does know the L4 routine, but only because she's seen the L4 team girls do it so often. At our gym, the tops girls are not allowed to be part of the jo L4 team (I have no idea why). There are only four or five girls who will be competing at their level so the coach choreographed an awesome routine to cirque de soleil music (it's short, but really great) and she's letting each girl showcase their strengths during the routine.

It is definitely a just for fun meet, but it's the only one she's going to get to participate in for the entire year that we know of and she's so excited and really wants to do well (she's very competitive and really wants to make an impression).

I agree the 2xbhs will come - she wants to do it so badly, but I really like bogwoppit's comment that one great one is worth more than two bad ones and I think she would be struggling with the second. She's still debating, but I think that she's leaning toward the one great one as opposed to chancing the second that she's not comfortable with.

Either way it will be awesome because she will have given it her all.

she's concerned that she won't score as well with only one, but is afraid to try two.

Then leave it alone. Especially since she is showing some fear. Don't worry about not scoring well with two or anything anyone else is doing. Let her focus on her and ONLY her. Trust me--fear issues can creep up very suddenly and can last for years (my dd is still dealing with hers from over 2 years ago), and they can be triggered by stress, pressure and doubt.

She only needs one BHS for Level 4 so don't try to fix something that is not broken. Please, just let her know that it is ok and she will get her multiples in time.

So the other night, dd told her coach that she would rather do one bhs perfectly than try two and mess both of them up. Her coach told her that if other girls are doing doubles (even though they have really bad form), that there's no way she can win... poor kid. Of course she's now frustrated and I'm kind of upset with the coach for being so flippant with her about it.

So the other night, dd told her coach that she would rather do one bhs perfectly than try two and mess both of them up. Her coach told her that if other girls are doing doubles (even though they have really bad form), that there's no way she can win... poor kid. Of course she's now frustrated and I'm kind of upset with the coach for being so flippant with her about it.

WOW! :eek: What a way to crush a kid's confidence. Way to go coach :mad:!!!

Unless you heard what the coach said, she might have just been being honest. Or she may have been trying to motivate her. I'm sorry if your daughter took it harshly. The best thing you can do is just be supportive.

As a note if it is true under whatever scoring system the competition is using, the coach might have just been correcting your daughter's interpretation. That is one problem with providing advice like this when we really don't know how they are scoring or coaching. It is a confusing situation but many coaches don't like to hear a kid say "I will just do this." It is not necessarily that they have no input but sometimes if they want to progress some things are not optional. I try to have a fine line between being gentle (I'm pretty gentle by nature) and knowing they have to understand some things if they want to get better at gymnastics and be competitive in it. I have in the past had to sit down compulsory groups and get across that just doing the skills or bare minimum expectations isn't good enough.

I'm pretty honest with the kids if they ask me about their chances for placing on an event or scoring in a certain range. Sometimes the answer is "no, the routine you are doing is not meeting that standard." I would phrase it as "*you* will need to do this in order for that to happen" rather than "they're doing this and they are going to win" but truthfully kids are not adults and they can misinterpret. If there's a problem, just mention it to the coach that she's feeling stressed about this issue and most coaches are going to address it with her and correct any misunderstanding or hurt. It's important that we correct these issues with the children so they understand the reasoning behind directions rather than think it is out of spite.

IMHO, if this is a fun meet, scores really shouldn't matter. It depends on what the coaches (assuming that they are in their right mind) thinks it's more important. Certainly, you don't want 2 ugly back handsprings, but if they look semi-decent it might be worth it to go for it (so long as it doesn't hurt her form on a single one). A good coach (again assuming) should know how much fear comes into play with a child and not push her if she is not up for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back