elite gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2012_olympics

Say if your son or daughter had the drive and or talent to become an elite gymnast and they were willing would you do anything for them to make that dream happen including going to the olympics?

No I wouldn't. Just not worth it to me.

I see your 7 day ban is up, make sure you do not behave in a way that will make me ban you permanently.

In one word... No. I feel it would not be fair to put that financial burden and emotional strain on everyone in the family. I'd rather use that money to provide college educations for my kids.

Say if your son or daughter had the drive and or talent to become an elite gymnast and they were willing would you do anything for them to make that dream happen including going to the olympics?

Yes. I would give any of my kids all the opportunities I can to help them make their dreams come true, whatever those dreams may be.

Anything? No. There are limits.

If I had kids in gymnastics, I wouldn't stand between them and their dreams, but I wouldn't be willing to, say, move to a different area just to get them to a particular gym. When I have kids, I hope that gymnastics will become a part of their life, but it will never be their life.

If I had kids in gymnastics, I wouldn't stand between them and their dreams, but I wouldn't be willing to, say, move to a different area just to get them to a particular gym. When I have kids, I hope that gymnastics will become a part of their life, but it will never be their life.

True. I should amend my answer to include "within reason."

This is exactly my reasoning, when oldest dd was 7 she wanted to be like the gymnasts on tv. The nearest gym that could offer the training was two hours away. So we told her that it wasn't going to happen for her. We never even got to the point of contemplating money or time or the effect on the family as a whole.

I will always encourage my kids to be all that they can be, and all they they want to be, but I would never uproot my family for a possibility when our life here is so good.

Looking back this was a very wise choice as dd no longer does gym, she is at home rehabbing a stress fracture of the spine and she has decided her gym journey is over. She loved it, but it's done. Had she gone into a more intense gym, with longer hours she may have not enjoyed her time in the gym as much.

My youngest has never dreamed of the upper levels and is mostly very happy with her time in the gym. The smile on her face when she trains and competes is what it's all about for me.

Dreams are all well and good. But, the dream has to be real and at the end the outcome has to be practical, no matter how things turn out. A good education and well balanced life will provide for that. My kids and I have personally been told these words by a Gold winning Olympian (in another sport).

No I wouldn't. The reality is that very few make it to elite and it's very expensive. I can apprecite that my child would be willing to make the time commitment but I'm not willing to make the entire family sacrifice on the financial side so only one can benefit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back