DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So..what to do with this comment??

D had a rough practice last night, so I know some of this is coming from that. He landed hard on his double back and his heels were sore.

This morning he is CRANKY and just said...everything always hurts. I am not sure what he means by this, and i know it isn't true...he is just tired and cranky from last night, but he has said it before.

Ideas? I tend to just acknowledge and move on, and wait and see if it continues. I was thinking about talking to coach and seeing if maybe it is possible to lay off floor/vault tonight...or just wait it out. I know he is feeling pressure with regionals coming up and alot of pressure to make nationals (Self imposed)

Suggestions, commiserations, etc?

I would let the coach know (probably privately) and ask him to lay off a bit on the landings and jarring stuff today. Let him know that he's in pain and really sore. Laying off for a few days is probably a good idea.

I'm surprised they're doing hard landings right now? Our kids do as few as possible. We have 3 weeks til Regionals though -- not sure when yours is.

Maybe depending on his age. Growing pains may be in the mix. Mine have them in spurts especially hard on the knees and heels. Definitely talk to the coach and watch it. But everyone has hard days.

Thanks guys. I really think it was just a bad night....carrying over to morning. It is just so hard. :(

For him, Ice cream, pizza, a really nice breakfast??:)

For you a grown up beverage. If it were me, Pinot Grigio, Cosmo, Chocolate Martini or Mojito would work. :D

I think you are right. I was thinking starbucks on the way to practice tonight. I think the pressure of making nationals is weighing on him. Trying to take that off a bit :(

Your post is very relevant to what my son is going through, our boys are so close in age and levels and both had recent coach changes.

If my son said everything always hurts, I would be concerned too. I mean I know injuries and sore muscles happen, but I wish we as parents, gymnasts and coaches could improve communication on this topic on what is normal workout soreness, and what type of pain needs follow up. The issue has been driving me a bit crazy this last year, since it always seems to be something hurting with my son and his team mates. Makes me wonder what we are unintentionally reinforcing as being okay to live with bodies in constant pain as parents & coaches, rather than how to keep a body healthy for the long run.

I wish my son would tell me like your son did! My son doesn't want to tell me when something hurts and that concerns me because he has a track record of this and he has had an injury from growth/repetitive stress use. In fact I first noticed it as he was holding injured area during a meet between events a year ago, not because he told me!

I take advantage when my son does open up (which isn't often). Last night after practice he was excited because he got a new skill. He said he spent 2 hours on pbars until his coach made him stop, and this morning he said his muscles in his shoulders are sore from last night, no surprise there. But this is about the most he has talked in 2 weeks other than Fine. Yes. No.

Oh and my son is CRANKY almost all the time ~ 90%, this is his new normal. These brief moments of communication are so few and far between I am so happy when they happen. On his bad days he is just more cranky. Mostly just typical teenager stuff I think, regarding the cranky attitude.

Forgot to add, had a boy on son's team had soreness in leg, not sure if it was heels or ankle or what. Finally went to doc and it was a stress fracture. So he was in boot and pretty much missed almost all season.

Sure would be nice to have clear parameters on what to do. Some kind of flow chart or checklist for,gymnasts.

So I guess how bad is your son's pain? Given what they are doing with these pretty high-level skills it would be nice if we had a checklist like pain over a certain threshold, or lasting for certain amount of time, or in a certain area, requires medical follow-up, icing, resting, or anti-inflammatories etc.

My DD is currently wearing a shirt that says, "help me I'm sore", and it sums her up nicely. She's practicing six days a week, and everything does always hurt. She knows to tell me if the hurt is more than normal soreness though. These kids lead fairly exhausting lives.

I remember training several times a week (different sport) and I was always sore too. I can only imagine that it's worse for gymnasts given the intensity, duration, and frequency of training. We try to distinguish between normal muscle soreness from a hard workout and "injury" type pain. If anything seems to be not usual muscle soreness, we make an appointment with the physiotherapist to check it out. If anything lingers for more than a week - we make an appointment. Each night I give a 10-15 min massage of one or two body parts, whatever hurts the most. This seems to help a lot, I have noticed tight muscles are noticeably looser after a few days of massage (it hurts but it's a necessary evil).

Also - epsom salt baths and magnesium supplements, SLEEP. I haven't offered to skip training yet but I wouldn't be against that if I felt overtraining were at play.

I remember training several times a week (different sport) and I was always sore too. I can only imagine that it's worse for gymnasts given the intensity, duration, and frequency of training. We try to distinguish between normal muscle soreness from a hard workout and "injury" type pain. If anything seems to be not usual muscle soreness, we make an appointment with the physiotherapist to check it out. If anything lingers for more than a week - we make an appointment. Each night I give a 10-15 min massage of one or two body parts, whatever hurts the most. This seems to help a lot, I have noticed tight muscles are noticeably looser after a few days of massage (it hurts but it's a necessary evil).

Also - epsom salt baths and magnesium supplements, SLEEP. I haven't offered to skip training yet but I wouldn't be against that if I felt overtraining were at play.
I was travelling overseas recently and my back started to give me issues and my brother in law (a doctor) gave me a bottle of magnesium supplements to help alleviate. Worked.

That is teh 2nd suggestion for magnesium I have had. One for migraines. We may have to try that.

I think he always has some muscle soreness. I am pretty sure that is waht is going on, coupled with being 14, stress of regionals, etc. Coach said he would give him a light workout tonight. I Hope he does...

Thanks guys. I feel better. He was fine after floor where he was hurting, and did big dismounts without pain, so I do think it is just soreness and frustration. That is usualyl when I see this. Offered tonight off, we will see if he takes it or if he perks up by the time I get home. NOt super worried about overuse at this point because of the way they train.

And..I think the "everything always hurts" is the teenage version of, "I have soreness and I am tired". He does exaggerate. But I am sure there are legitimate pains and I am really glad that he will tell me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back