Fear of falling from beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Question for anyone:

We're new to competitive gymnastics (Level 3 and 4). My L4 struggles with beam routine - she's always afraid she's going to fall and smack her head even though she's never done that. She's fallen - but becasue she's lost balance during split jumps. How can I help her overcome her fear?

Thanks,
AV

There's not much you can do except to build up confidence by repetition. Just keep in mind that, to a certain extent, there will always be a little fear.

i am a level 7 now and i fall so much! i have gotten used to it by now and just get back up and try again. i do my routine 24/7 and i think it's helped me. when i was a level 4 we would put a piece of tape down in our living room and i would practice on that. Hope this helps:)

Most kids who are scared of falling are creating more problems because they are thinking about falling. When she does a skill she is probably thinking "I'm going to fall", or "I hope I don't fall". Teach her some different ways to talk to herself. Help her find other things to think about, ie thinking "squeeze my muscles", or "spot the end of the beam" or something positive about the skill.

Teach her to do positive visualization, help her to picture herself doing the skill perfectly and sticking it before she does the skill. Teach her that if she pictures the falling she will most likely fall, but if she pictures success she will most likely have success.

Confidence on beam is build with time and experience, as she is only level 4 her confidence should improve as she will be spending lots more time on beam. Coaches can help by doing fun games for balance such as team competitions, ball games on the beam, skipping on the beam and so on.

You might even like to purchase her a small beam for home, they are usually quite affordable from gymnastics supplies retailers and she will get many years of use out of it, practicing her skills at home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back