Fear of swinging down from Handstand on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi everyone - need some words of wisdom for my dd. She has been working on giants on bars for some time now. She is scared to swing down from her cast handstand. If she just does a high cast, not handstand, she said it is less scary. She can flyaway from a handstand. Any thoughts...

Thanks in advance.

Not sure there's enough information here to go on.

You say she's afraid of swinging down from a handstand but can do her flyaway from handstand?

Can she actually do giants by herself? You say for her it's "less scary" to cast high, but how high exactly is she casting and is she swinging this into giants or attempted giants?

How is she on a strap bar? What frightens her about bailing down from a handstand? What kind of progressions has she been taken through?

A video and more descriptiveness might encourage some responses to this.

She does not do the giants by herself. She is always spotted and she goes from a high cast (like about 3/4 handstand) around the bar and then her coach "catches" her in another 3/4 handstand so like a clear baby giant. She can easily cast handstand but I think she feels out of control when she swings down from a handstand or has too much speed? On the flyaway from handstand I think its different because she doesn't have to rotate her hands?! She can do them fine on the strap bar. Her coach said that it is mental not physical.

I think it's great that she's learning her giants through 3/4 giants as progression.

On the flyaway from handstand I think its different because she doesn't have to rotate her hands?!
The wrist shift on the last phase? Or on the handstand bail?

If she's got an issue with bailing from handstand, I'd think her giants on strap bar would help her get used to a nice, straight/extended body (or hollowed) on the drop from handstand.

I'd assume she's done drills on a floor bar, dropping from handstand to flat stomach on an 8 incher? Has she tried swinging down from handstand and "crashing" into a wall or something soft that can stop her at or near vertical?

okay. her hands still might be a bit small coupled with the grips. it's called proprioception. or feel. give it a bit more time. the handstand to the downswing IS the most precarious and scariest part of a giant. and sometimes the strap bar won't work for certain kids. all that matters is that she keeps doing the numbers. eventually it will be like everything else they go thru. it will become easy.:)

She does have tiny hands and is doing great giant drills, so I hope she just keeps the faith - she totally trusts her coach and I think that is what matters. We still have 4 or 5 months until season starts, I just need to keep her spirits up!

Thanks for your thoughts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back