WAG Fear on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so I have been having lots of issues getting myself to go for my back handspring on high beam. I was out for three months because I had a major surgery (due to medical issues not gymnastics) to have a tumor in my pancreas removed. I competed a Tick tock back handspring for a whole season, but I still can't make myself do a simple back handspring. I can do it easily on low beam and can move up to a mid beam with mats, but my coach isn't willing to let me do that. Then, when I say I can't do it floor to high beam, she tells me to not do it. Then I end up never doing them and it makes it even worse. It's a huge issue for me and the worst thing is I know I can do it, but my mind won't let me. Help?

You must be allowed to start from wherever you feel comfortable doing it. Then work up.
That is absolutely ridiculous that your coach won't let you go back a few steps. Can you have a heart to heart?
You have to get in reps.

My daughter has a coach who kept trying to make her go floor to high beam. It didn't happen. No how, no way.
HCs stepped in, and now she's allowed to dominate the crank beam during beam rotation, because even a centimeter higher is indeed higher.
Do you have a crank beam? Can you talk to the coach and explain what you're saying here?

I am so sorry you are dealing with this, and your fears are very real. And wow are you a trooper dealing with a major surgery and then coming back. I would try and think of all you have been through and remind yourself how strong you already are as a person. Most important, try not to let your fears get to you, recognizing they are there is a big step, and you will get through them. As you are older, I would try and have a semi adult conversation with the coach. At your age I think it would mean more if you did it than your parents. Good luck to you!

My daughter struggles with the same thing (can do the skills on low beam and mid beam, but the fear gets to her on the high beam). I have no advice, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. <3

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back