Parents Feel my daughter is being overlooked

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The coach for her rec team tonight is the head coach of the whole gym. He has worked with kids at different levels. I think he "steps down" to advanced rec once a week to scout. Now I just wonder what I should say to my dd to prepare her for this tonight.

This happened to my oldest DD at old gym, she started at age 2 and was advancing through the levels pretty quick from what I could see.. I of course knew nothing of the secret world of "pre-teams" at the time when she was 5... UNTIL her little sister was invited to the "hot shots" team when she was 3. ODD was SO JEALOUS of her little sister, it was awful! Strangely about a month after YDD was invited... HC invited ODD (she was a level 2 at 5 years old) to the older kid pre-team. I think gyms not only scout out specific kids by families as well. They need families that are willing to deal with the intense time commitment as well as financial burden. But this is only my own opinion... what do I know?

Just so I understand...your daughter was invited to try preteam and you were going on vacation so you were unable to attend tryouts? And then you went on to do three more years of rec? I'm just confused why they wouldn't have invited her to try out for preteam again at some point during that span of time. When my dd first joined preteam way back when, I refused the invitation the first time and they asked again 2 months later (I finally gave in and here we are). :)

Also, regarding the private lessons, is this something that was suggested to you by a team coach or just something you decided to do on your own? Are you taking the privates with a team coach or a rec coach? And finally, did someone tell you that she is too old for preteam or is that just something that you are worried about? Just trying to get a clearer picture of the situation...

Good luck to her tonight! I definitely recommend not telling her about being "looked at" for team It can make her nervous. Plus, if she isn't ready for team yet, you don't want her to think that she blew her chance.

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear an update! Seriously, it sounds like she has enough skills to at least compete in Xcel Bronze so if she warns to do team and you're willing to pay, I think you should move on if this gym keeps stringing you along. BUT at the same time I hope tonight's class brought better news or at least a clearer picture of what you need to do moving forward.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. The head coach did watch my DD some during the practice today. He approached me while the kids were doing their conditioning after practice. He stated that, for now, she is where she needs to be. Her biggest area of improvement is in her technique. She can do the skill, but her legs may not be the straightest for instance. He apologized for "seeming vague" about where she may end up. He made no mention of her age or getting "too old". He vaguely indicated that she would be a candidate for the club team. He mentioned that some of the advanced girls take two classes a week to speed up their skill knowledge. He said that it was ok for me to ask these questions because he gets questions all the time from parents. I thanked him and he told me he would be keeping an eye on her and would let me know how things are going after this term is over (in 5 weeks). I feel better. She came home feeling better because she was challenged more today than she has been in the past 6 months.

Looks like they are penalizing you for missing the first invite to team. It is time to look for another gym (!seriously it is time to look for a new gym). It is not too late, there are 9-12 year olds that are on level 3 teams. Good Luck!!

When we were hoping to get DD, who was lvl2, a shot on pre-team we moved her to twice a week. It was the best move! She loved it because she saw some real progress and I think it showed the gym we were serious.

Do what head coach says. Then tell DD to work hard during practice......
No one at our gym would move up right now because it's the middle of the season. Coaches do their scouting for the new batch of girls, AFTER they finish with the competitions......your DD is on the radar, now just sit back and wait.

The only encouragement I would give DD at 7, is work hard, try to be the best student, pay attention, be good with your teammates. For mom, be supportive, listen to the coaches, and let it be for now.

So happy for you that you got some answers even if it isn't exactly what you were hoping for right now. I think the two classes a week is a great idea. Good luck to your dd and hopefully with some hard work, she can make it onto team very soon!

What munchkin said! We don't move up kids during meet season either... If by January/February you haven't heard anything, I would consider your other options.

Sounds positive to me. She is on their radar. She is happy and challenged in her new class. You know what needs to improve. I'd say do the 2 classes a week and hopefully she will be ready to move up to compete next season.

Did he mention anything about pre-team?
I agree that no one would move her to team at this time of the season, but if she has the skill, just needs to correct the form, that's what pre-team is for. Or they don't have a pre-team, and just move the kids from this advanced class to team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back