First Ever Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My little sister has her first meet ever this Sunday, she is very excited, She is doing Grade 14. There will be around 50 girls in her age group, and the coaches told us that the competition last year was pretty tough. Her routines are looking good, especially bars, her only problem is her handstand to bridge, kick back over in her floor routine. Hoping things will go smoothly, she has the potential to do will but I'm afraid that the nerves will get to her. Wish her luck!

Hey Maya,

Good luck to your sister on her first comp. YOu sound like a great big sis, so maybe you can help her with her nerves. I am guessing that she is probably about 8, as thats when girls usually start to compete.

Perhaps you can help her make a little treat or girft for her team mates and her coach, that will take her mind off the comp. Also help her make some goals that you both know she can attain. I don't know the routines very well, but it could be things like smiling at the judges when saluting or keeping nice straight legs and pointed toes.

If she can think about things other than the things she struggles on she will do fine. The next great thing you can do is be her cheer squad, no matter how she does, let her know how proud you are of her. Not because she did, or didn't, do well but because she worked hard and was able to perform in public.

Keep up the great Big sis job. Sending her the meet fairy!!

Thanks, she is actually seven but her age group is for any girls who are turning 8 this year and she is born in November so some of the girls will seem much bigger than her! At her age a few months can make a huge difference.
I go and watch her from at the gym and try and give her little bits of advice ( pointing her toes/smiling as you said). My mom tries to give her advice too but she only takes it from me because I'm the only other gymnast in the family and she is convinced that anything my mom says is wrong :D.

Thank you.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back