Flexibilty and Strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a level 8 gymnast, and i hope to compete level 9 next year. I have most of my level 8 skills, and am even working some level 9 skills. I'm about average age for a level 8 .I would say that i'm a fairly talented gymnast, and that for the most part, gymnastics has come very naturally to me. But two things that I lack are flexibility and strength. And I know that skill progression happens much more quickly if a gymnast is flexible and strong. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm not very strong; I have very good arm and stomach muscles, but I just seem to really lack it in some other areas. My flexibility, on the other hand, is very bad. I mean, I'm certainly more flexible than someone who doesn't do gymnastics, am really not very flexible for my level. My gym does condition regularly, but in my opinion, really not enough. Only about 20 minutes per practice.

So my questions are:

-Should I be conditioning and stretching at home? Is there some sort of 'routine' I should be doing? Like a certain amount of things each day? It would be very helpful if you could give me some ideas for what I exercises I should be doing each day. Would a chart be helpful?

- Will being stronger and more flexible really help me get skills quicker, and better?

Really what Im trying to ask is if there's any advice on increasing my flexibility and strength, and what exercises I should be doing.

If you have an innate problem with flexibility, it probably would help to stretch at home. Since your gym doesn't condition very much, you might also try asking your coach for a list of exercises to help you improve at home. Actually, not conditioning very much seems like a real issue for all the girls at your gym - if you are strong and flexible, you have a much wider option of skills available to you, it's easier to keep good form, and you can perform some skills much better.

Working on your splits and bridges at home would probably help. Just remember to warm up by jogging in place for 10 minutes or so first. You don't want to stretch cold muscles.

DD's summer break conditioning was the following: Rockers x 30, Back rockers x 30, Side pumps x 30, Dips x 30, V-ups x 30, pushups x 30, Straddle hold, Pike hold, Side leg lifts x 30 each side, heel raises on edge of step x 50, Handstand hold tummy on wall 1 minute, Press to handstands x 5 x 3 sets.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back