Flipper Injured

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipper was at gym on Tuesday - her birthday, but on the way home she started complaining about her heel hurting. She said she had to ice it during practice and missed vault because it hurt to run.

When she woke up Wednesday morning, the heel was discolored and swollen. Looks almost like a spider bite. Since it had heat in it, we decided not to watch and wait, but immediately made a doctor appointment. After several x-rays, it appears that she has a fracture in the growth plate of her heel. We are waiting for confirmation from a radiologist and still hoping for just a bruise.

Flipper is on crutches and in pain - and already driving us crazy. Flipper is NOT a good patient. She is just convinced that given a few days, she will be good as new and will be able to compete in all her upcoming meets. Your prayers and/or healing fairies are welcome!

Oh poor Flipper, that is so tough, I know how hard it is for active kids to deal with issues like this. My 14 year old DD just was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her lower back, she is in a no activity ban for at least three months.

Crossing all my fingers that Flipper is just bruised and not broken.

I think this must be a pretty common gymnastics injury. Kathy had a teammate out with the same thing over the summer. Fingers crossed that it's just a bruise!

Awww that really stinks! I hope she heals quickly and will be back soon!!

Poor Flipper! I hope she heals quick!

Bog- we had a girl at our gym just come back from that injury! Hope dd is OK.

Oh, man, I feel for you. My daughter is not a good patient either. We have had several girls at our gym with the growth plate injury, I think it is "better" than an actual broken bone in terms of recovery time.

So sorry that she is going through this. Hope she can recover quickly and the pain goes away SOON!

soo sorry to hear this! I hope she heals quickly. It is no wonder she is a "bad" patient! They tell her to do nothing, and that goes against everything she is!!! That has to be super frustrating! Poor thing!

Hope she heals fast and can handle the resting up - they find that so hard. All my fingers are crossed for a good outcome. I know she has worked to hard to get where she is.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope that she recovers quickly and isn't TOO bad of a patient for you :(

Heal quickly Flipper! Gymnasts are definitely not good patients! My son injured the growth plate in his last summer and was in a Aircast for 2 weeks and then he was able to come out. Hoping for a bruise though...

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear this! I know how hard it is to keep a gymnast from bopping around. I hope it heals quickly!

Oh that stinks !!!! Hoping she is just bruised. My DD fractured the growth plate in her wrist two years ago. She was out for 8.5 weeks, I feel your pain. It is so hard to keep them from doing what they love.

Fingers crossed...I can understand how hard it is for a gymnast to sit on the sidelines or only work on conditioning when they want to be competing. My grandaughter broke her first metatarsal about 5 weeks ago and just got her boot off and is hoping to compete state next weekend, but I doubt that will happen. Hopefully for flipper it will only be a bruise and she'll be back at it soon.

We are praying for Flipper! Let's just pray real hard that it is a bruise and nothing more. I uderstand that gymnasts do not make the best patients. Knock on wood that DD doesn't get hurt EVER! She would drive me totally NUTS if she couldn't do gymnastics ALL day long!:eek:

Flipper update: MRI indicates Severs and a navicular fracture. No weight bearing (boot & crutches) for a minimum of 8 weeks and then recheck. Flipper is devastated. I wish I could make it better, but long term recovery is more important then missing a season. The little stinker would rather have plates and screws put in her foot hoping to make it back before state. Cooler heads have prevailed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back