Floor - side sommie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kalgymcoach

Coach
Judge
Hi, Just wondering if anybody out there has any drills to teach the side sommie on the floor. One of my girls is having problems landing it. I can only find what is looks like on youtube but no actual drills. I think she is going into way to fast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

that's a dead end skill unless you're learning it for beam. is this for beam?

Will it count as a salto? In the USAG program if it was done the way it is commonly done in WAG (starting like an aerial entry) it would not qualify as a salto. I know in MAG it is sometimes done as a side pass and then it may be done as a salto but to me that is pretty difficult for not a lot payoff. I wouldn't spend a ton of time working on that. What are the other two saltos the gymnast is current performing?

Can do front & Back Saults and also layouts, The Arabian Sault looks interesting but I don't know how to teach that either.
It was just different from what else we can do. We are under the WAG in Australia and the side Sommie is classified as a sault.

side somi's are a waste of time. spend the time on the above ^^^ or learn how to teach arabians.:)

This is what I use however I rarely teach it to anybody. Imo, it something you just figure out with enough aerial awareness but this is also coming from a boy POV as in " that looks cool, lemme try it, ezpz "

One drill is to do side cartwheels off a block into a pit. I had a decent front and back salto and just taught it to myself on tramp. I basically thought of it as bounce high, do side cartwheel in the air. However, it's opposite of an aerial since you want you height rather than passing through a deep lunge where the chest drops and you kick over. My boss said I probably saw it in the Matrix or something.

Learning arabian is probably a better idea as it can be applied to more events.

Arabian:

Start doing round off rebound 1/2.
Add to doing a roll out of it onto stack mats, building the mats up.
Then round off arabian dive roll.

Develop a good 1/2 turn in the air land on stomach "airplane" on tramp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back