WAG Fluid under the knee cap

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
*not looking for medical advice*

I have quite a bit of fluid underneath my knee cap. We are waiting to see of it drains itself before getting it drained by medical professionals (I have gotten this checked out already so no need to fret). I wouldn't say having fluid under my kneecap is a huge deal anyway compared to tearing some ligaments or something, but it still sucks.

I have a gut feeling that it's not going to drain itself & it will fill more. How long does recovery take after getting it drained? How exactly do they drain the fluid? When were you able to get back into the gym & train full out?

I understand that even though one gymnast may have been able to train full out after one week, it may take me much longer or vice versa. Just want to see if there seems to be some sort of "average" or something.

I had this happen to me when I was a kid. I was doing a back walkover and smashed my knee on the side of the beam. Fluid developed and my mom took me to a doctor who proposed to drain it. I wouldn't let him near me with the needle. Then a few weeks later, I was in gym class at school and was doing something on my hands and knees and it popped. I actually felt the fluid run down the inside of my leg. It was really gross, but it was over and never came back.

Sounds like a ball! Just kidding. I'm glad that it sounds fairly easy to do!

Unfortunately, I've gotten a second opinion and they don't think it's fluid.

This sorta happened to me a few months ago, there was fluid under my knee. I had to wear a brace and use crutches for a week and I was only out of the gym for a week so I only missed 2 practices..... I guess it drained itself.

I used to run cross country and quite a few of my team mates had to have this done. I swear I don't remember them being out of practice for more than a week (if that) and they said that the doctor just used a needle and drained it.

I hope that what ever it ends up being isn't too major. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back