flyaways

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I started working flyaways about a month ago, the first day I kinda "forgot" to let go of the bar then i did it a few times and it was good. did it the next day with one spot, fine, next practice I was kind of pulling in, and i still had a spot but she wasn't really doing anything.Our gym was closed for a week, we can back and I tried to do my flyaway but i CANT LET GO OF THE BAR! It is so frustrating because I literaly cant let go. Wether it is one spot or even a double spot i cant let go. I am not really afraid of anything like crashing or hitting my feet. It is getting really frustrating. I know ALL gymnasts go through this and I have to deal with it and get through it, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to get past it. This is basicaly my first real mental block of a skill.

And please dont just say to LET GO because i know "how" and when, i just cant.

Oh my gosh! I am having the exact same problem! There are a couple things that help me...
When your doing tap swings, count to yourself
3.....Let go! (dont count 3, say let go!)

Im not sure if that will help you, but it did me, another thing is when I lose a skill..Saying I can do it dosent help...I say, "I've done it once, I can do it again!"

im at least glad i'm not the only one it's happened to :) everyone says "just LET GO!" but its frustrating that I can't... ive also done some dead cows (timers) just to get the feel of letting go.
thanks!

im at least glad i'm not the only one it's happened to :) everyone says "just LET GO!" but its frustrating that I can't... ive also done some dead cows (timers) just to get the feel of letting go.
thanks!
I know what you mean! The same thing happened to me, where you would say, JUST LET GO! But your hands wouldn't! Just think its all you! The bar isn't the one that is making you hold on, haha there is no glue on there!
Its only YOUR mind that wont let you go.... No one else! So its up to you, just open your palms.

so i have also been working on my flywaways and have had trouble letting go of the bar. to get mine back i did "dead cows" where you swing over the pit and let go and land on your back. then i do low bar flyaways with a spot and then go back to high bar. it worked and i have a cast flyaway going strong now!

The best way to work through this is to do some drills. I realize they're extremely boring, but believe it or not if you apply it to the skill it actually works. My best suggestion is to put a resi under the high bar and practice some swings. When you get to the point in your swing where you would let go in your flyaway, let go and land on your back. I did this drill before and during my process of getting my fly away, and trust me...it works. Hope this helps! :)

i know what you're going through, i had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. you really just need to believe in your coaches because they wouldn't let you do it if they didn't think you could. you just need to tell yourself that you can do it and don't think about it too much. Your body knows what to do

That happened to me too... But I got a new coach and she scared me into doing it!! lol but it really helped me to relax my shoulders and just do it. ur coach should be guiding u thru the rest thoe. its kinda a new skill and the flyaway is hard to learn but fun to do after! I really hope that you get it. the more u work on it, the more confidence u will get. If they tell u to see ur feet or something like that, it doesn't really help at all. It makes me pull in even more. My mom said it was like ur fighting a survival instinct. like it ur hanging off a cliff on a brach, ur not gunna want to let go and flip off!! haha my mother is so funny. I trust that u'll get it thoe, be patient :)

I had this really bad for a while. Dead cows did not help me, but I did a lot of releases to my back, then back roll down, on a steeply inclined wedge mat. I also did flyaways from the low bar with a spot, though I had to keep my legs bent the whole time because of the low bar is a low bar. People told me to look for my toes, but that was disorienting for me, so I just felt when my body rose was when it was time to flip. Sometimes I spotted the wall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back