Off Topic Found a poordog

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

bribri514

I know this is way off topic but I wanted to share my dilemma with people I trust and care about (you all!)

I was driving home today (I am back at my mom's right now) and I almost hit a dog. The poor thing was in the center of the street, not moving with people honking and swerving to avoid it. It's a pretty curvy narrow two lane road up the side of a mountain with no sidewalks or even room on either side. I called it over hoping to see a tag on its collar and take her home to her owners. But when I called her over I saw she had no collar or tag and was dirty and ragged. I got her into my car anyway because I was terrified she'd get hit,. I saw a man walking his dog close by and asked him if it was his dog. He said no but it's always running around in this neighborhood. They've brought it back to its owners and have called the humane society and everything and the owners have done nothing.

I went to the house but no one was home and left a note on the door saying I took the dog home to be safe and to call me when they're back. I told the neighbor this as I left and he said he doubted they'd call me and thought it was really good for me to take the dog home to be safe and warm.

I brought her home and gave her a bath and some food, she was so ratty and dirty and hungry :-( I then realized she kept walking into walls and was sniffing more than normal and other stuff... she's blind!!

I haven't gotten a call from the owners yet. I'm sooo furious that this poor little dog (probably a Jack Russel or JR mix) has been left outside with no fence or collar or tag. We live in a rural mountany area in the forest with coyotes and mountain lions and all sorts of things. If she wasn't going to be hit by a car she was small enough to get attacked by another animal.

The fact that the owners have been contacted over and over and by the authorities and still don't do anything for her makes me mad. And the fact that she's blind?! Many people leave their dogs outside all day while they're at work. But they have fences and at least a collar and tag on their dog. They also take care of them in other ways. But this poor dog can't even see and defend herself. No wonder she just sits in the road waiting to be hit by passing by cars!

Anyway I'm calling the humane society tomorrow but am keeping her at home with me until they say to do something. I really am opposed to her going home and even would like to adopt her if the humane society makes that an option. I just am shocked people like this have dogs. It's pretty common where I live for people to go get dogs but then have to leave them all day because everyone has to work lots of jobs since it's a resort town and then lots hang out at the bars after. The humane society is absolutely full of neglected animals it's very sad. Obviously I'm not going to do anything illegal because I have contacted the owners (well left a note on the door) and if they call I will talk to the human society too so they know these people are still neglecting their animals and have to change if they want it back.

But until then she is clean and warm and fed and cuddling with me on the couch right now. I don't know why people get animals if they can't love them and treat them properly.

Good for you Bri. It is so sad when people give up on pets, leaving them to fend for themselves is just so cruel as we have trained them to be so dependent.

kudos to you Bri. you did the right thing by that poor dog. humans are so inconsiderate & selfish most of the time. I hope they let you keep him. so sad. he is lucky you came along when you did. keep us posted.

You are doing a great thing. :) Blind dogs can be great companions. (I had a blind bully mix for several years. He did very well without seeing anything.)

Good for you Bri! I hope they do let you adopt her! We adopted our pet from a rescue and she is a wonderful pet! It will be a shame if they give her back to her neglectful owners.

Sounds like you've got yourself a dog! Since the "owners" have not come forward, there is no way the humaine society is not going to let you keep him. I used to volunteer for the "cat line" at a local no-kill shelter... taking calls from people who wanted to get rid of their cats, people who found stray cats, people who found cats left without food or water in apartments where the tennants had moved out... it was incredibly sad. When the totally overwhelmed and over-run humaine society hears "found a mistreated blind dog, would like to keep him" there is NO WAY they're going to say no. I would say that the question you should ask the humaine society is how you "lay claim" to the dog so that, in two weeks when the original owners forget that they didn't give a hoot about this dog and call and say "We want our dog back" (after you are totally attached and have shelled out big bucks for vet bills) you have a legal claim to him. Maybe you will need to officially adopt him from the humaine society so that you have ownership papers.

Good for you, Bri! I am a huge dog lover and cannot understand why people with less than sincere intentions or a lack of desire to fully care for their pet for his entire life get them in the first place. My dog is a rescue and she is the best. I'd love to rescue another, but know I just don't have the time right now, but I'm sure I'll be a crazy dog lady sooner or later :p.
I volunteered at the Humane Society where I used to live and they are typically over-full, understaffed, and in desperate need of adopters or foster families- particularly for dogs with special needs. I hope you get to keep her, she sounds like she's doing very well in your care!

We were not allowed to adopt a cat from our Humane Society because we have a collie who was not fixed. He never goes outside except for walks so we weren't too worried about fixing him. Didn't think adopting a cat would be a real problem with an unfixed dog. But apparently they have rules and would rather kill a cat than take a chance on our dog getting her pregnant. I don't know if that's a rule everywhere, but if you don't have any unfixed pets you should be fine. :) So glad you rescued this poor dog! So kind of you. I know our humane society kills several hundred animals a month. It is nice to hear of one getting a good home.

Thank you guys so much! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly emotional and was in the wrong for not wanting her owners to come through (and if they do fighting against them keeping her).

I found today a big scabby wound on her cheek (under her fur so I didn't see it when I gave her a bath last night) from where her little black whiskers (if you know what I mean) would be!!!!!!! This poor poor dog doesn't deserve anything more.

We have two dogs already, a little pug and a little black and orange mop dog. My mom is more a big dog person but when her and my dad first got the dogs we lived in a place where only little dogs can be. This dog is a wirey Jack Russel I think, but way less agressive and high energy than some JRs can be.

doggy.jpg (This is her!)

Wow, she's so cute. She looks a lot like one of our two dogs. Dusty is some sort of terrier mix that was found abandoned along side of a road. We rescued him from a shelter. Do you have a name for your new friend?
DSC01313.jpg

Awwww he's cute too. It makes me so mad people just abandon dogs! Don't get them if you can't take care of them! You can't abandon kids on the side of the road just because you don't want them (yeah it happens but not like dogs and there's huge consequences for doing it to kids).

I haven't thought of anything yet, I want her to be able to respond to it. The other big problem is with me being Deaf. Our other dogs respond to hand signals and signs and it's no problem. Since she can't see me I try to pet her a lot and help her figure out the house by feel. I can't really talk, I can kind of say a few words, so I'm working on that. She doesn't seem to care how "Deaf" I sound or how well I say everything, I think she just wants to know people are there and they care about her.

If you have any inkling to write a children's book, a blind dog and a deaf girl who come to depend on and love each other seems like a plot line ripe for the picking...

Sounds like that poordog is now a luckydog...I really hope you get to keep her. The way some people abandon or maltreat their pets just makes me cry.

Good for you, Bri! Congrats on the new buddy. We have a rescue, too. His name is Lucky and he's a yorkshire terrier. He has many issues even after 4 years of being with us, but we love him dearly. Best wishes, hon, and enjoy your new pal! She will bring you unconditional love.

That little guy is so very lucky that such a caring person found him!! You definitely did the right thing and I wish you and your furry new friend the best! He's a cutie!

I'm such and animal lover. I can never understand how people get animals and treat them like this. They must know its going to be a commitment when they get the animal UGH! So glad there are other animal lovers out there like you who will take care of the animal. Dont be surprised when the human society is contacted they still don't want to take the dog for 30 days and keep it in their facility instead of letting you care for it for observation and to make sure it doesn't need any other medical care.

We were not allowed to adopt a cat from our Humane Society because we have a collie who was not fixed. He never goes outside except for walks so we weren't too worried about fixing him. Didn't think adopting a cat would be a real problem with an unfixed dog. But apparently they have rules and would rather kill a cat than take a chance on our dog getting her pregnant. I don't know if that's a rule everywhere, but if you don't have any unfixed pets you should be fine. :) So glad you rescued this poor dog! So kind of you. I know our humane society kills several hundred animals a month. It is nice to hear of one getting a good home.

We got deneied for the same reason. I will never support the humane Society. We found a no kill cat santuary, and we got two lovely kitties from them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back