WAG Frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymnast17

Gymnast
Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with some frustration at the gym lately. I’m on the cusp of platinum, except for one event: bars.

I can do full offs on vault, a clear hip, rbhsbt, fhsft, and cartwheel round offs on beam. The one skill that I simply cannot get no matter how much i condition and practice is a kip. Coach has given me a deadline to get my kip which is around the second week of october.

I always get so frustrated on bars. We had a break and I’ve lost my very close kip. I’m back to square one and I don’t think I can get my kip by october. I’m so advanced on the other events, and I always wonder how I get so behind on another event.

Enough with my sob story, does anyone know how to healthily deal with frustration? And possibly get a kip.

I think the important thing to remember is that you’re trying your best. Kips are one of those super annoying skills that take forever to get. Look at the small improvements each day. Even if that’s something like you straightened your one knee or you made 5 really close ones. Bars was my weakest events as well and it took me forever to get my kip. I wouldn’t stress too much about it. I’m sure you will work hard and get it. I think it’s might be helpful to make small goals for your kip not just the big goal of making it but things like pointed toes or a fully extended glideswing, like other than getting your kip what’s some smaller goals that come with your kip. Write out a list of these with your kip as your ultimate goal. Then check off each goal as you do it. I think sometimes it feels like we aren’t accomplishing anything if we are not getting the skill right away this way it will give you a visual of how much you are accomplishing. Hopefully this helps and best of luck with your kip!

How many hours are you training? Have you asked your coach for specific kip strength conditioning? Break the kip down into stages and try to improve each one. Glide extension, fast toes to bar, being able to keep toes/legs on bar, ab strength & shoulder closing etc

I think the important thing to remember is that you’re trying your best. Kips are one of those super annoying skills that take forever to get. Look at the small improvements each day. Even if that’s something like you straightened your one knee or you made 5 really close ones. Bars was my weakest events as well and it took me forever to get my kip. I wouldn’t stress too much about it. I’m sure you will work hard and get it. I think it’s might be helpful to make small goals for your kip not just the big goal of making it but things like pointed toes or a fully extended glideswing, like other than getting your kip what’s some smaller goals that come with your kip. Write out a list of these with your kip as your ultimate goal. Then check off each goal as you do it. I think sometimes it feels like we aren’t accomplishing anything if we are not getting the skill right away this way it will give you a visual of how much you are accomplishing. Hopefully this helps and best of luck with your kip!
Thank you. I will definitely try this out, I’ll keep you updated.

How many hours are you training? Have you asked your coach for specific kip strength conditioning? Break the kip down into stages and try to improve each one. Glide extension, fast toes to bar, being able to keep toes/legs on bar, ab strength & shoulder closing etc
Training 5 atm and may move up to 13 for HS. I always get assigned kip conditioning I have to do before trying it on the real bars. I will definitely try to break it down, which would probably help me learn and master all parts of a kip. Good thing I don’t plan on competing for club until end of Feb. Thank you.

Training 5 atm and may move up to 13 for HS. I always get assigned kip conditioning I have to do before trying it on the real bars. I will definitely try to break it down, which would probably help me learn and master all parts of a kip. Good thing I don’t plan on competing for club until end of Feb. Thank you.
Just curious but would it make a difference if you tried the kip before you did the conditioning? Maybe you are getting too tired from the conditioning and then when it comes time to do the kip you just can't. Just my current thoughts.

I’ll definitely try that too, thanks! I’ll keep you all updated

I’ve been dealing with some frustration at the gym lately. I’m on the cusp of platinum, except for one event: bars.

I can do full offs on vault, a clear hip, rbhsbt, fhsft, and cartwheel round offs on beam. The one skill that I simply cannot get no matter how much i condition and practice is a kip. Coach has given me a deadline to get my kip which is around the second week of october.

I always get so frustrated on bars. We had a break and I’ve lost my very close kip. I’m back to square one and I don’t think I can get my kip by october. I’m so advanced on the other events, and I always wonder how I get so behind on another event.

Enough with my sob story, does anyone know how to healthily deal with frustration? And possibly get a kip.
Have you tried doing your kip on the high bar? My YG completed exactly 20 low bar kips in practice during her career. When she went to Platinum, she only did high bar kips because she was more likely to actually make it.
She said it was the extra momentum that helped her (and she could do them straight-legged instead of dragging her bent legs behind on the low bar).
Good luck.

I was a middle schooler when I got my kip. I got it by doing a rigorous program of core conditioning every single day at home. It was a commitment. But, 30 years later, I’m still proud of that darn kip! I worked really hard for it! Good luck!

Have you tried doing your kip on the high bar? My YG completed exactly 20 low bar kips in practice during her career. When she went to Platinum, she only did high bar kips because she was more likely to actually make it.
She said it was the extra momentum that helped her (and she could do them straight-legged instead of dragging her bent legs behind on the low bar).
Good luck.
I’ve tried but I can’t seem to bring my self up. I end up falling to the ground.

I was a middle schooler when I got my kip. I got it by doing a rigorous program of core conditioning every single day at home. It was a commitment. But, 30 years later, I’m still proud of that darn kip! I worked really hard for it! Good luck!
Thanks!

I have some good news! I was able to bring my feet up but my coach said the only thing slowing me down was me tapping my feet (this has never been an issue for me). Any recommendations for keeping my feet up?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

The Shaposhnikova Skills in the 2025-28 CoP

Back