Funniest Inappropriate Snacks in Gym Bag

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

jsfofec

I was wondering what kind of bad snacks people have had in their gym bag at meets. DD's coach always reminds them to have something to drink and a healthy snack.

Last year at one of the meets, DD's teammate, who was a 14 year old level 9 had a large bag of chips, 2 almond joy candy bars and a large package of oreo cookies.

Between rotations, the coach looked over and noticed that DD's teammate and another teammate were sitting there with a mouth full of cookies and 4 or 5 cookies in their hands. So the coach asks them, "is this a healthy snack" and the teammate replied, "this is what my mom put in my gym bag". The 2 girls had eaten almost the entire package of cookies before the coach saw what they were eating.

So the coach comes over to us parents while we were watching the meet and says, "cookies, chips and candy is not what I consider an healthy snack". So we all look at each other, not knowing what she's talking about...then one of the parents suddenly has a shocked look on her face and realizes the coach was talkng about her DD...

She brought all that junk food to share with all the parents at the meet. She didn't have anything to put it in, so she stuck in her DD's gym bag and forgot to take it out when they arrived at the meet. Her DD found the snacks in her gym bag and figured they were all for her and did her best to eat all her snacks. :D

It was so funny, we still laugh about it today

Me and my friend get sour patch watermelon candies and hot cheetos for almost every meet..always safely hidden from our coach though! :)

The parents always do their best to provide us with healthy snacks...but sometimes only a bag of potato chips and mini Snickers bars will do. Nothing like junk food to soothe the nerves the night before a meet!

My DD's never wanted snacks and even if I threw in some crackers or grapes they would not eat during the meet. Same for practice, even though they have a snack time Little Monkey will take some Goldfish or pretzels but only eat a handful because everyone else is eating not because she 'needs' it.

Man...D takes a lot in his bag. Not really funny but usually there is:
Squeezable applesauce
Beef Jerky nuggets
Peanuts
fruit leather
wheat thins
granola bar or 2
sometimes a sandwich

The funny part is watching the boys trade during the meet! They make deals and switch snacks. Fortunately, all the parents pack fairly healthy snacks! LOL!

Me and my teammates always bring goldfish and pretzels and sourpatch kids/our favorite candies to our meets! And we all share. Our coach has no problem with what we bring, but we are only allowed to eat during certain times during the meet. As long as it's not affecting our routines they don't care!

I have seen cans of coke in bags at meets! Thought that was very odd, but probably not much worse than gatorade in reality.

On a semi-related topic, my pet peeve is that my daughter always seems to be eating her snack when they're calling her group for awards. I don't know how many videos I have of her on the podium CHEWING.

dd always asks for slices of red peppers. I pack them in a baggie with a couple ice cubes. I usually toss in some almonds and dried mango along with her water bottle, but the child only ever eats the red pepper slices. I think she views them as a "good luck food." For what it is worth- she has a teammate that is unable to comfortable compete without eating her pre-meet Zinger. Even at the 8am start times.

I was horrified once when one of my gymnasts (aged 7 at the time) took out 5 (yes 5) full size chocolate bars from her bag and thought I was going to let her eat them all!!!!! (I wasn't keen on letting her even have one). It was a 10 minute break, for a drink, toilet and very small, healthy snack such as granola or cereal bar! That is the worst I can remember.

2 of the girls from waaaay back when I was a gymnast used to hand out Mikado sticks during break - we used to have to compete for them!

We don't have a snack break these days, and they aren't allowed food in competition halls so we don't tend to have a problem anymore!

No food at all during the meets? Our boys would not make it!!! They had to be at their meet this morning at 7:30 and we were done at noonish. There is no way those boys could keep it together that long without food during the meet!

Our competitions are much much shorter that yours I think! Only 21/2 hours each round. Gymnasts can eat before or after in the cafe areas but just not in the actual competition hall - spectators aren't allowed food in a lot of venues either - but that is usually if there is somewhere to view the competition where they are allowed food such as a viewing gallery.

DD usually takes the squeezable applesauce, fruit snacks, apple slices, carrots, and animal crackers. One meet the coach took a picture of one of the girls with McDonald's in her gym bag and labeled it "Bad!" and took a pic of another girl with fruit and water and labeled it "Good!!" on the team facebook page. We thought it'd be funny to mess with that coach at the next meet so I put snickers, swedish fish, a red bull, 5 hr energy, and a chocolate bar in DD's bag. We had talked before the meet and she knew that she was not to eat ANY of it, lol. It was really funny. She had her normal snacks in there too :). My DD is pretty high energy so the coach couldn't believe I would give her a 5 hr energy. I never would!!! That's punishing myself- besides the fact that it isn't healthy for her. All us parents got a good laugh as coach saw her snacks. Luckily the coach thought it was funny too :)

Wow, I am pretty shocked at what I am reading, if that is what their parents give them to eat at meets. I would hate to see what their diet is like on a regular basis. I wonder how many of these kids have trouble concentrating during training because their diet consists of nothing but sugar.

I got rid of snack time during training this year for this exact reason!
I got so sick of seeing them with packets of chips, biscuits, chocolate etc no matter what I said to them about bringing healthy snacks (usually the excuse was "my mum packed it for me"). I always tried to single out the girls with fruit etc and say what great energy food it was for them and healthy etc but it never seemed to make much impact sadly. I'm sure they are still eating the exact same food prior to training but at least I don't have to see it now!

A little off topic, but I worked at a school and one of our 5th graders complained of terrible heart burn pain right after lunch recess. When asked what he had for lunch, he said, "Two bags of hot Cheetos and some Gatorade." And he said it with no hesitation as though he eats like this all of the time. We were all aghast...maybe he packed his own lunch, but who would even keep that kind of crap in their house? He was given a nutrition lecture, some Tums, and sent back to class. His mom (when called to approve the Tums) was also given a nutrition lecture.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back