WAG Gabby Douglas movie on lifetime next Saturday.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter loved it. It was thought provoking for me. Would I go on public assistance yet pay the $400+ a month tuition for elite training for my daughter? I don't know. Gymnastics is expensive as it is, and we are comfortably middle class. I think at some point I would just have said no, we can't afford it at this level, but we are not dealing with the same level of talent as Gabby has, either.

We watched it as well. It's actually the first movie we've watched in awhile that DD sat still the entire time

No one was troubled by the Special that followed the movie? Gabby appears to be supporting her entire family now. And while she claims to be back in training -- she has no coach and she has no gym and she seems to be spending all her time making appearances and money, with her mother working full time as her "manager" -- so how, where and when is she training?

I didn't watch the documentary special afterwards. I did DVR it so we will watch it tomorrow. I'm curious about it as her mom ( and to some extent the young lady herself) have been painted in some less than flattering shades...

I didn't watch the documentary special afterwards. I did DVR it so we will watch it tomorrow. I'm curious about it as her mom ( and to some extent the young lady herself) have been painted in some less than flattering shades...

For very good reason I am sorry to say. There is also the treatment of the Chows and the very public complaints (and now bashing in her TV movie) of her VA gym. Gabby may not be responsible for her mother's behavior, but she is eighteen now and surely responsible for what appears to be her own lack of veracity. If she has abandoned gymnastics to be a "celebrity" that is her choice. But pretending to be in training when it is very obvious that she is not, is not ok in my book. If I were looking for a role model for my own kids I would elsewhere.

We watched it last night. DD made it through the movie (though she was a bit disappointed that it seemed to focus less on the gymnastics leading up to and including the Olympics and more on living in the van/ family stuff) but crashed during the special. It was a true Lifetime movie (said by someone who has seen her fair share). It ended very abruptly IMO and I would have liked "more" during the Olympics training period (just like my DD!LOL!) The special after it though- eek! Made me feel really icky. I HATED how she called herself a "celebrity" all the time. Yuck. And the way she was portrayed just living the high life in LA- and fwiw, I don't think it was an over the top portrayal AT ALL.) just skeeved me out. It seemed bizarre that she seemed to have no future plans (school, etc) and "I" don't want to endorse that lifestyle for my gymmie. (When she talks about wanting to go to the Olympics we talk about Kyla who did Olympics AND plans to do gym in college!) Also, when her mom talked about not working and just being a "momager" I worried for that child. And she IS a child. Sigh. I don't know, it just seemed so SAD to me. :(

Apparently Gabby's former manager got dropped right around the time she was trying to set up a trust fund for Gabby to try and protect her money/future. It seems as though anyone who truly has Gabby's best interests at heart is removed from her life.

It seemed to me that she was under an enormous amount of pressure from her family to succeed. Very sad

I think she is under an enormous amount of pressure from her family to make money. That's different from "succeeding." The other 4 2012 Olympians are all living full lives while they plan for their future. Kyla and McKayla are back on the national team, competing, finishing High School. Kyla plans to do gymnastics in college. Aly is going to college part time, back in full time training and also doing endorsements, appearances. Jordyn is a full time student at UCLA and works as "team manager" there because she can't go into NCAA because she went pro. Aly, McKayla and Kyla are still with their coaches -- Jordyn, not, because she left elite gymnastics to go to college, at least for now, but they remain very close. Those four are true role models.

Gabby on the other hand has given up gymnastics (in spite of pretending to be "training on [her] own") , left the coach who got her to the Olympics on bad terms, I don't think she has even finished High School. She's just busy playing "celebrity." I suspect that Gabby's mother is all about milking the cash cow for whatever it is worth while she can. This is not the stuff "role models" are made of.

I think she is under an enormous amount of pressure from her family to make money. That's different from "succeeding." The other 4 2012 Olympians are all living full lives while they plan for their future. Kyla and McKayla are back on the national team, competing, finishing High School. Kyla plans to do gymnastics in college. Aly is going to college part time, back in full time training and also doing endorsements, appearances. Jordyn is a full time student at UCLA and works as "team manager" there because she can't go into NCAA because she went pro. Aly, McKayla and Kyla are still with their coaches -- Jordyn, not, because she left elite gymnastics to go to college, at least for now, but they remain very close. Those four are true role models.

Gabby on the other hand has given up gymnastics (in spite of pretending to be "training on [her] own") , left the coach who got her to the Olympics on bad terms, I don't think she has even finished High School. She's just busy playing "celebrity." I suspect that Gabby's mother is all about milking the cash cow for whatever it is worth while she can. This is not the stuff "role models" are made of.

add X-Calibur to that list.

no, she hasn't finished high school.

mom is a piece of work.

she ain't training...

We watched it for the gymnastics and the "never give up" message, but my 8 year old is too little to understand politics. On it's face, it was ok, but it seemed pretty self-indulgent.

My opinion

Not only boring, but the only interesting moments were the last few when the footage from the Olympics were shown. Probably the only "accurate" parts of the story.

It is unfortunately a very sad example of how vulnerable our children are. Olympic champion or not, she's a child who is being exploited. Really sad that those who should protect her are the ones that are taking such advantage of her.

Yes, she's an "adult" now, but a very sheltered, under-educated one that has been led far astray by her Mom. Sad all around.

My opinion

Not only boring, but the only interesting moments were the last few when the footage from the Olympics were shown. Probably the only "accurate" parts of the story.
I totally agree! Just watched it today with my gymmie. Boring, touchy-feely, inaccurate, over-simplified snapshot of the gymnastics world.

Its sad that everything around Gabby is so tragic. I didn't watch the movie because I don't find her family and life inspiring and I knew the movie would not focus on her wonderful skills. Her ( and her mother's) treatment of Excalibur and Chow's is at best untethical ( and more likely illegal) and not what I would want my child to see.

There are so many successful gymnasts ( and their families and coaches) that are excellent role models for young girls in their post Olympics lives and we need to focus on them as much as possible. From the Beijing Olympics all ( I think) have gone on to college. Bridget is getting 10's at Florida in Gymnastics( on scholarship of course), Shawn has started at Vanderbilt and is speaking, Chellise is a judge (and coach) and is frequently at the Ranch working with the younger athletes. Nastia will be in Sochi commentating for NBC.

From the London Olympics the other team members seem successful and balanced. Gymnastics has been good to them and they clearly appreciate it and are using the skills honed in the gym to be successful in the rest of their lives. I applaud them and hope girls can emulate their actions on and off the completion floor.

Its sad that everything around Gabby is so tragic. I didn't watch the movie because I don't find her family and life inspiring and I knew the movie would not focus on her wonderful skills. Her ( and her mother's) treatment of Excalibur and Chow's is at best untethical ( and more likely illegal) and not what I would want my child to see.

There are so many successful gymnasts ( and their families and coaches) that are excellent role models for young girls in their post Olympics lives and we need to focus on them as much as possible. From the Beijing Olympics all ( I think) have gone on to college. Bridget is getting 10's at Florida in Gymnastics( on scholarship of course), Shawn has started at Vanderbilt and is speaking, Chellise is a judge (and coach) and is frequently at the Ranch working with the younger athletes. Nastia will be in Sochi commentating for NBC.

From the London Olympics the other team members seem successful and balanced. Gymnastics has been good to them and they clearly appreciate it and are using the skills honed in the gym to be successful in the rest of their lives. I applaud them and hope girls can emulate their actions on and off the completion floor.

and let's not forget that Nastia is at New York University! :)

and i sincerely hope that Gabby's storyline doesn't follow that of someone like Justin Bieber...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back